From:
Chrissy Cappelluti <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1993 22:00:00 -0400
Hi all!
 It's been a week since I was last on.  I went down to Georgia for
the Pet Expo in Atlanta with the AFA.  We brought ferrets to
introduce to people and had an exhausting, but very successful time.
I don't recommend the drive, though!<G> GDFA had a show and a fun
match which seemed well received.  I would have liked to have seen
some of it, but with only two people to man the booth, we simply
didn't have the opportunity! Pity though, I had my ace balloon
killer with me!  My last post generated some comments that I would
like to address and/or clarify, as well as some additional comments
for other posts-Hope you guys can follow it all!<GG>
 RE: false preggers-Deb, you're right on the money!  The only thing
to add would be a reminder that very infrequently you'll find a jill
that will go out of season by herself.  I repeat, this happens VERY
infrequently and you shouldn't wait more than a week for it to
happen.
 RE:Descenting/DR. K  Laura, I agree with you-Dr. K is a wonderful
vet who is probably the only one I know of who will still descent in
this area--at least, descent properly.  You're right, there are some
pretty intense complications that can occur with descenting, the
least of which is infection.  This is why I stress that it should
not be done as a matter of course.  It should be done as a last
resort, just as declawing  a cat should be done as a last resort.  I
envy you working with Dr. K for the summer.  He's done some
outstanding work with several ferrets belonging to some friends of
mine.  All adrenal problems are routinely referred to him!
 RE: ferretone, etc. Katie, In the interests of conserving space, I
didn't go into extreme detail in my comments.  I apologize for my
assumption re: the manufacturer of Linatone.  Ferretone is always
recommended over Linatone, but, unfortunately, Linatone is much
easier to come by for most people.  Obviously, anything created
specifically with the ferret in mind is preferable over any product
created for another animal, for use in ferrets.  I agree that
sometimes health reasons dictate descenting as a necessity, but it
should be considered ONLY if necessary.  Obviously, if your ferret
is "pootering" every time another ferret looks at her cross-eyed,
you should consider the option of descenting.  I merely want to
stress that descenting will stop the spraying, not the natural musky
scent of the animal AND that most ferrets rarely spray and therefore
descenting them would be a needless surgical risk to which they
shouldn't be subjected.
 RE: domesticity  I realize that the Polecat and the Ferret are in
the same family and that they can interbreed--Just as a domestic dog
and a wolf can.  This does not change the fact that the polecat is a
wild animal and the ferret is a domestic animal.  I stress this,
because there are so many people out there who refer to M. putorius
furo as a "wild" animal.  In choosing a pet, it is important to
consider all aspects of the proposed pet.  Since the choice seemed
to be between a ferret and a polecat, I feel very strongly that for
MOST people, the ferret would make a much better pet.  Of course, if
given the choice between reading and bungee jumping, I'd choose a
good book any day.  Call me a weenie.
 Also RE: domesticity  Egypt gets the credit as the country with no
walls, etc <G>

RE: Christine Derby breeds ferrets in Rochester, NY or thereabouts.
I don't have her address/number, but an inquiry to the AFA should
get it for you.  I know they keep a list of folks who breed as they
discover them. The address is:P.O. Box 3986, Frederick, MD 21705

RE: Stinky-Imp  Ditto what Cindy said!!!!