From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 21:47:26 -0700
Dear Gary,

I don't have any help for you on the ferretlegging, but I'd like to mention
that this is not a very good time to be writing about things that make
ferrets look like vicious animals or circus animals (which is how some of
the British people look at them) or that make the the people who love
domestic ferrets look like perverts or wackos.

There is a legislative effort underway to legalize ferrets in California
which many of us have given a lot of time, effort, and money to.  We are
having at least limited success, but it is very difficult to get journalists
to present any side but that of the California Departments of Fish and Game
and Health.

At least, please try to balance your article with either or both of (a) the
ferret enthusiasts' rebuttals to claims of danger to wildlife or humans from
domestic ferrets (contact Jeanne Carley of Californians for Ferret
Legalization at (415) 851-3750 for an information packet) or (b) some
research into why ferret enthusiasts love their pets so (though perhaps you
know some or all of this already having been an owner).

Thanks so much for your time,
Todd Cromwell, WA State