From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:19:16 -0700
Sort of looks like an attempt to lure Zen out since we've been quiet lately.
But that would be a paranoid assessment.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: breeding practices
>Everyone always insists "you can't make money breeding ferrets", unless
>of course you are a mass breeder such as Path Valley or Marshall Farms.
>Does anyone disagree with this statement?

That is unfortunately bait that might allow folks to attack anyone who
breeds.  We are worried this will get ugly if any breeder dares respond.
This list is already unfriendly toward breeders.  The Ferret-Forum and the
other Ferret-L list do not have the wars this list does on breeders and
shelters.

Hobby scale breeding ferrets does not make money and can not support a
shelter.  We spend/lose far more money on the breeding than on the shelter.
Some folks operate shelters but also breed a litter or two.  Some folks
breed ferrets but are willing to take in any "unwanted" ferrets and thus
operate shelter.  We've had some folks say a breeder can't operate a
shelter.  This is re-inventing definitions to suit one's arguments.

There are folks who run very good shelters.  There are folks who do not.

There are people who are responsible in their breeding practices.  There are
folks who are not.  There is almost no agreement on any question of what
makes a responsible breeder or a good shelter.

It might turn into ugly name calling if we to try to decide which is which
since folks on the list disagree about what the distinctions arebetween good
and bad in both of these areas.  Most of us only know each other through
emailed communications but still seem to be pretty vehement on opinions.  We
are very willing to discuss breeding but are worried that with this sort of
introduction and direction it might be merely an excercise in utility.  If
the topic gets ugly we will not participate.  If it stays on course and
polite we will.

>My second controversial topic is I'd like to know what the minimum
>standards of care are, that everyone can agree upon, to be considered an
>ethical breeder.

You will likely not get a minimum set of anything that everyone here will
agree on.  Ferret breeding is very competitive for some reason.  Silly
ribbons at silly ferret shows is a big part of it.  Big egos seem to go
along with breeding (and shelters) - not everyone but quite a few.  If the
discussion is friendly toward breeders we will discuss our opinions but can
not hope that any consensus will be reached.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]