From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 00:44:44 +0000
This is not meant as a flame, but in reading the cabinet incident from
Barbara Carlson made me first glad that she came to little Bumper's rescue
and then secondly post a little food for thought.

My house is three levels of excitement just waiting for a curious ferret to
find the one thing I didn't count on that they would get into.  My ferrets
also do alot of pushing furniture away from the wall and such, but my
philosophy is, that if they want to get behind it, they can.  I would
rather have the task of moving stuff back into place rather than finding
them stuck somewhere.  In Tinder's more active years she climbed on top of
my dresser and then thought that she could jump down behind it as there
was just enough room for her to get not only her head into but her body
as well.  She did this while I was at work, and did not find her until
one-half hour after getting home.  I heard a strange sound coming from
behind the dresser... when I looked, I found Tinder stuck halfway down
wedged between the wall, which was far from perpendicular to the floor, and
the dresser.  She came out fine (which to this day I am glad about) but now
all my furniture is away from the wall because I just can't get them as
close as they should be in order for this incident not to happen again.
Barb, it is not meant as a criticism.  Ferrets are intensely curious and
tenacious creatures.  I just want to say that for anyone trying to ferret
proof their home to consider moving stuff away from the wall when it comes
to furniture.  I know that this may not always be possible especially with
heavy furniture but the point is that we all want to keep our fuzzies safe.

Again, Barb - I'm glad that you felt that something was wrong and acted
upon it.  Like I said before this is not a criticism.  Your story merely
reminds us that ferrets wrote the book on Murphy's Law.

Betty - honest, I'm not looking for a fight! - and her Blur O'Fur