From:
Effie Marie Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1993 17:04:42 -0400
Hello Everyone!

  I was off the net for the summer and just thought I would catch up.  The
last time I wrote in I believe I told you about my new addition, Loki.  He
is now about 11 mos old.  My other "child" Oshi is about a year old.
  I didn't want to be a downer, but this is a unique situation.  The bad
news is that in July, Loki started vomiting every time he ate or drank.
This started overnight.  So, I took him to the vet who x-rayed, did blood
work, etc. and could find nothing physically wrong that would cause the
vomiting.  He continued to vomit so she decided that a mass located at
the juncture between the small intestines and the stomach might be an
obstrucion.  So, she did exporatory surgery and found the mass to be a
thickening of the muscle there which had closed off the passage of food
etc.  She removed the thickened portion and sent it off to the pathologist.
Well, Loki has recovered nicely.  He's eating like a pig and has more energy
than he's ever had.  The bad news is, I just heard from the vet and the
Pathologist called and Loki has a carcenoma type cancer of the stomach and
there is no treatment and the prognosis is fatal.  Needless to say I am
typing with a tear in my eye.  The vet told me that this is one for the
books because there is no record of this occurring in a ferret this young
or of this type of cancer at all.  I am truly devastated.
  For the moment he is perfectly healthy and Happy.  They had no idea how
long he has left, but for the moment everything is alright.
  If there is anyone out there who has had the same experience, or has heard
of anything like this please let me know.
  I am now in the market for another new addition for Oshi when the time comes
or rather soon actually to break him in.  I want a male.  A very large male and
his being whole or whatever doesn't matter.  A cuddly one would be nice.  So,
if anyone has a prospect that would fit the bill, please contact me.  My e-mail
address is : [log in to unmask]  and my phone is : (601) 323-1461

Thank you in advance!
Marie Hines