From:
Genevieve Crabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1993 14:41:15 -0400
Hi all,

I recently subscribed to the newsletter, and I am currently making my
way through the back issues... what a great collection of information!

I thought I would introduce my family. I live in Kanata, Ontario,
Canada, a suburb of Ottawa (the nation's capital). My husband Cliff
and I have three fuzzets: two female sables, Sparky, 5, and Pixie, 4,
and a 3-year old male cinnamon named Max.

CAGE: The kids have a two-story condo cage, with a hammock on the
second floor. They love to use the hammock, even all three at once! We
found that old sweatshirts and sweat pants make great bedding; they
love to crawl right in to go to sleep.

By the way, since we don't have any children of the human variety, we
usually refer to the ferrets as "the kids"; it almost got me in
trouble once when someone overheard me talking about "playing with the
kids and then putting them in their cage for the night".   :-)

TOYS: They have quite a variety of toys. They like rubber squeaky
toys, although they only play with those under supervision (we learned
the hard way to be careful, when Pixie swallowed a piece of her
favourite toy; luckily, the piece came out okay). We have a long piece
of 4-inch dryer hose that they love to run through. They love paper
bags; this year, we gave them one of those huge paper bags you use for
leaves and yard waste, it looks like a giant version of a grocery bag.
One of their favourite toys is the cardboard tube from the inside of a
roll of paper towels; it's not big enough for them to go through, but
they stick their nose in one end and push it along the floor. Pixie
sometimes pushes it all the way to the wall, get her head stuck,
shakes off the tube, and starts again.

TREATS: We don't give treats very often; when we do, they seem to like
a lot of the usual stuff, bananas, raisins, watermelon, Cheerios. They
also like oatmeal, peanut butter, and cucumbers. The girls are very
picky and only like a few of these, but Max will eat absolutely
anything you put in front of him. While the girls will sniff very
carefully and refuse most foods (Pixie actually wrinkles her nose!),
Max just eats first and asks questions later. One of the few things
that they all love is raw potatoes - they go crazy whenever one of us
is peeling potatoes in the kitchen; I'm not sure if there is anything
wrong with that, so I only let them have a little bite.

We've started making videos of some of their antics. Great fun!

Cheers,

Genevieve
Sparky, Pixie and Max