From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:12:47 -0500
Jim,

>Somebody else had a cute 20lbs Jack Russell Terrier, a frantic-yet-friendly
>pup.

I enjoyed your story about your ferret standing up to the Terrier.  It
reminds me of a similar incident that one of our adoptive "parents" told us
about their new adoptee and their dog.

Seems as if the dog and ferret hit it off really well.  They played and ran
and jumped, and of course sniffed and batted and pawed one another too.
Everything was fine until they gave their dog a big meaty bone.  The dog was
happily knawing away, when the ferret walked over to the bone, grabbed it
and started to drag it away.

The dog couldn't believe it.  He let out with a teeth baring snarl and
accompanying growl.  The ferret stopped, turned around and glared at the dog
(you ferret owners know that glare).  The dog stopped snarling; stopped
growling.  Put it's tail between its legs and whimpered as he ran away.

No doubt about it.  Ferrets can communicate.

Dick B.