From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:35:49 -0600
This is by no means scientific.  It is my personal opinion.

When I'm hungry I eat.  I can't imagine now ever being hungry and not
able to eat when I want to.  There was a period in my life when this did
happen and it wasn't pleasant.... it was very painful for a time and I
now have to deal with a medical condition that relates to this time.  Did
you know that after a certain period of time you aren't hungry when you
haven't eaten for days and that when you try to eat you vomit?  It's
true, I've been there and I wouldn't want anyone else to go there.

The ferrets that I've personally cared for that are obese are those that
had been in a starvation state when they came to me (I'm guessing their
systems horded fat calories in case of another starvation state) though
not all became obese, or those that have medical conditions that cause
obesity, or those that weren't allowed out of cages for exercise and they
were obese only for a short time with me.

I buffet style free feed the ferrets in my care.  When they are hungry
they have the food there to nibble on.  I feed the foods they want to eat
whether that is Totally Ferret, Marshalls, Ferret Store, Kitten chow,
canned and allow them to enjoy treats as well as long as they do well,
are active and happy.  But we already know that I'm bad when it comes to
food issues. :-0

My group is a mixture of body sizes and weights, not everyone has what
might be considered the ideal weight and I prefer they be a bit chunky.
The little bit of extra weight helps if they get sick or need surgery.

And yes, I too am a bit plump.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services