From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:25:22 -0400
Does no one else find it more than slightly tragic if ANYONE invites flames
on the list or ignores new data?  Can't help but wonder why.  This is not
providing an excuse to justify inexcusable behavior because such posts DO
need to be culled out, but I still can't help wondering.  Had seen such
changes in two far older relatives years ago (circulatory disease at
advanced ages with tiny strokes in their cases -- something now more
amenable to lifestyle changes and medical care) and because causes were
medical perhaps I have a soft spot for such things, or many I just have a
soft head.  ;-)

It's like Regina pointed out with ferrets -- sometimes a behavioral change
is an indicator of a medical problem which really needs to be attended to
for the sake of the individual (and year by year with advances these are
more and more likely to be able to be helped) -- something which is true
throughout Animalia.  Always be alert to behavioral alterations.

I doesn't pay to panic about Fervac or assume that all sorts of things are
caused by it.  Some stuff may well, but it seems like a lot of generalizing
is taking place about many things being (perhaps inappropriately) assigned
to it, as well as people periodically confusing normal vaccine responses
with reactions.  Talk with your vet and learn what's normal and what's a
problem.  If a ferret has not had an anaphalalytic reaction to a vaccine
then it doesn't pay to not vaccinate -- for the simple reason that the
diseases prevented are so much worse.

Still, it pays to try to get the new option developed.  Your letters can
make a very large difference.  (See FML posts from recent weeks on the new
vaccine option which needs support to be marketed.) Besides, Merial has
already indicated an interest in the ferret market with IMRAB 3 and this
new project, so as progress continues also in knowing more about the ECE
coronavirus there could eventually, possibly (Think years.) be testing,
vaccine, or both for that, too -- so establishing the size of the ferret
market may additionally help with that work!

Ben's advice was GREAT!  My bet is that his parents are often proud of him
and visa versa.  If Coree's parents are less used to raising kids and
expect that every question should have a fast answer -- something mine used
to do a number of decades ago -- Coree can use an approach I wish I'd found
when I was young.  Instead of just quietly thinking about your reply tell
them that that you will "research this question and get back with the
information" then write it down and look things up.  If you put down where
you got the data that can also help prove your point, by showing that you
are responsibly using resources.  I was very intimated by my parents, and I
was their oldest so they made many of their goofs on me, and then swung
around and tried to be the extreme opposite with my sister which also
wasn't wise.  That used to lead to me reacting from my gut -- NEVER a good
way to act unless there's an immediate life-threatening situation where it
can't be helped.  Parents ARE more experienced in general from the sheer
dint of having more years behind them, but they are as human as the next
person (and often as needing of forgiveness for being no more god-like than
anyone else can be); therefore, they are fallible but they also can learn
-- so balance can be found if they are approached in a rational and calm
fashion by a youth who is willing to mature into acting more adult.