From:
Kate Pappas Rainier Beach Public Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 11:03:37 -0700
for Henry and others--

the bitter apple goes on the human skin before the ferrets come out to play,
so that the ferret learns that YOU taste totally horrible whenever he grabs
you.

also, if you give a truly piteous squeal when he grabs you-- sort of like
"oooooooooohoooooow"--then he knows that he grabbed you too hard.

One of my ferrets, when he grabbed me and I squealed, would immediately let
go and wander off with this marvelous expression on his face--sort of like
"Who, me, make you cry like that?" It was hilarious.  He'd look so
confused-innocent, you had to laugh.

One of my current ferrets will grab me in play, but he stops when I cry.
He is learning that I am not covered with nice soft thick ferret-fur, and
he is learning that he will not be hit or shouted at, and he is really a
good ferret and very much loved, and I am so proud of him!

I know not to take it personally--he's not being mean, or hostile, he just
wants to play with me--and maybe drag me off to his hidey-places-- and it's
really an attempt to communicate with me and let me know he wants me to be
with him!  In other words, it's a compliment, and I want to reward him for
the attention but let him know that my own skin just can't take being
grabbed so hard.

I put the bitter stuff on my feet and arms, and I'll let him lick olive oil
or ferretone from my fingers, so he learns that I love him, and he can lick
me, but I taste horrible and he can't grab me the way he grabs his toys.

I would think if you spray the stuff in his mouth, he won't get the
connection, he'll just think that you are being mean.  How about if you put
the bitter stuff all over you, and then OFFER your skin to him, and watch
him make that "ugh, that stuff is NASTY!" expression?

He sounds like a terrific little guy and as if he is truly fond of you--and
you of him.  So give it a try (drenching yourself with the bitter stuff) and
let us know how it all works out.

Wishing both of you the best,

Kate, Monty and Madison