From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:11:56 -0500
VETS: I got a msg at work today from my vet - he called last night sort of
worked up about a ferret problem he hopes you can help solve.  The ferret
was doing better today by the way.  Ferret started by going to litter box
and turning around in it repeatedly.  Then progressed to turning in tight
circles - like a puppy chasing its tail till it essentially laid down worn
out.  It wasnt' pooping right either.  (I;m a little vague here - I think he
would turn in the litter box and poop outside it).  At first it was thought
to be a urniary tract problem with pain being associated with the box.  Now
however he doesn't know - maybe an inner ear problem (he said something
about the eyes going back and forth when held).  He seesm to hold his poop
till he cant anymore then sort of goes rather explosively in much volume all
at once (probably because he doesnt want to get up).  Doesn't want to get
up - because all he can do is turn in circles.  It was given an
anti-flamatory steroid and improved as of today (Thursday).  He knows of a
problem similar to this in cats and dogs but wants to know about ferrets.
Any comments?  (I gave him the number of a more experienced vet some ways
north of here who has a good reputation too).

Well I looked up "stoat" in the large dictionary we have at work today.
Said to see Ermine.  Ermine said (paraphrase) any of a number of type of
weasels that turn white in the winter with black tipped tails.  Weasels said
any of several types of weasels and ermine.... Sort of confusing.  Did you
know there is a Bonaparte weasel?  That picture of kits in Modern Ferret
with the white kit with black stripe sounded very much like what a winter
ermine sounded like.

Mr. Killian had a good point about breeding - its nicer to have other
breeders to go to than MF.  I especially liked the part about responsible
breeders cutting back when it seems like there are too many.  I personally
would rather be on a waiting list than have 50 ferrets to choose from in a
shelter.  God (or whatever)bless all you who run shelters.  Your the type of
people who redeem my faith in humanity.

Troy Lynn and Trish - what do your hands look like:)?

Mary, Boris and Giesela