From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:00:06 -0800
>From:    Dixie Carter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: post Adrenal male prostate problems
>...My 4 year old MF male came down with Adrenal disease and has happily had
>his right adrenal removed 3 weeks ago.  His hair is growing back already.
>My question is that he had a cist in his prostate that was drained of 3ml
>(is that alot?) of fluid at his surgery.  He had been straining at the
>litter box.  This condition went away after surgery.  Weve kept a close eye
>on his potty habits.  He is going potty and does not seem to strain but his
>penis is wet most of the time when I pick him up and sometimes he has
>(forgive this crude remark) what looks like a bugger near his penis.

Hi Dixie,

Welcome to the FML!  I'm glad you wrote because we have a similar problem
with our Percy, who had part of his right adrenal removed last November.  At
that time we noticed he was urinating more than usual, often had a moist
penis, and seemed to be straining during urination, though not to a great
degree.  He grew back most of his hair very soon following surgery.  The vet
checked his prostate and didn't find any abnormality.  He also found no
signs of bladder stones.  There was an extremely enlarged mesentary gland,
which sits behind the stomach and drains the intestines.  The vet theorized
this might have been putting pressure on the bladder and making Percy
uncomfortable (and thought it might have resulted from increased bacteria
due to a viral infection - probably ECE - in August).  Percy got prednisone
following surgery, and the gland shrunk, but he is still urinating more than
the other ferrets, and has a moist penis, which he licks more often then the
others lick theirs (okay; we aren't staunch observers of this habit :>) He
was also treated with antibiotics before surgery, after surgery, and has
been one more time, so I don't think it's a urinary tract infection.  The
vet was puzzled, and Percy is eating great and full of energy, but we would
like to get this problem cleared up.  Any ideas are greatly welcomed!

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Italian Ferrets
>know how much time off I'll have, much less transportation.  Still if I had
>a chance I'd like to contact a club, breeder etc. and go see Italian

Hi Mary.  Roberto, of Italy, is or has been a subscriber to the FML.  I
don't have his e-mail address anymore, but BIG could probably reach him.
Roberto, are you out there?  He was very happy I wrote him and offered to
let me send his snail and e-mail addresses to my young Italian cousin
Alicia, who adores ferrets, but lives in a small apartment with her family
in Perugia, and so must be satisfied for now with all the ferrety pictures
and with the magazine I sent.  I'm sure glad we've got eight great real-life
fuzzies!  When she was visiting she fell in love with our first ferret,
Gadzook, a silver mitt.  We also went together to a Native American powwow,
which she loved too, and she honored Gadzook with a new name, White Foot.

Have a great trip!!

Lynn and the Gang of Eight (Schroedee and Squeeks in spirit)