From:
Sharon Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:25:53 EDT
>From:    Sharonkay <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Have anyone taken their ferret or ferrets outdoors and have them meet
>people?  How do the ferrets react to the people?  What has been your
>experiences?  Anyone use carriers on your back/front?
>What about taking them on weekend to a week vacations?

I used to take my ferrets shopping with me all the time.  I've heard
everything from "is it a dachshund?" to "look honey its a monkey!" Yes,
they really said that.  I generally took the friendliest of my crew on
weekends when the stores are crowded and the meanest on a Monday.  They
need training too.  Generally my guys reacted well.  Curious, sniffing,
pooped on the floor in Target once, (I cleaned it up!).  Usually they
ride on a blankie in the baby seat, while on a harness and the harness is
securely tied to the back of the seat.  It is kept very short.  If they
start acting "frantic" off we go to the bath room where I get a corner
stall and put down some toilet paper in a corner for them to poo poo on.
If we got to a restaurant, I use=20a back pack for them to hide in.  With a
blankie and a harness!  But that is for special trips to a special vet as a
rule.  I've never taken them on a weekend trip but I don't see a problem
with it, as I have a couple of smaller travel cages.  Though as much as I
would love it I don't take them camping, to many factors I can't control
for them there.

You also asked about the cavy thing, I had a cavy who used a litter pan and
whistled whenever he heard cellophane being opened, but did not recognize
his name.  Maybe because I wasn't very consistant about using his real name
and used lots of nick names!

Have fun
Sharon