From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:35:34 -0700
>From:    Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Which TriState, Names and stuff
>Oops!  I live in New York >City.

If you are looking to adopt in NYC call Big Apple Ferrets or LOS-NY.

There is a ferret show coming up in NYC sponsored by Big Apple.  Definitely
be some ferrets for adoption there.  We'll probably have some and I'm sure
others will as well.  A few from this list even.

I think Big Apple and LOS-NY (you there Kit West?) are doing something the
weekend before the show.

{from the AFA web site <http://www.ferret.org/afaevent.htm> }
NYC Ferret Fiesta
Championship Ferret Show
September 14
White Plains, New York
Sponsor: Big Apple Ferret Assoc.
Sanctioned by the American Ferret Assoc., Inc.
Call: 1-800-FERRET-2

Sorry to mention them two days in a row BIG but this has different stuff....

[Moderator's note: See issue 1640 for info on the event the week before.  I
would like to be there too, but looks like I can't make either week :-(  BIG]

>From:    Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farm Ferrets Question
>Just out of curiosity, does anyone know "where" Marshall Farm is located?

Upstate New York.  I think it is fairly close to Debbie Riccio and Pam
Greene's homes.

Yes they like any breeder that supplies pet stores must chip their animals.
I believe Marshall's uses wooden "crates" specially designed for this.  They
are flown for most of their journey to distributors.  From their it would
probably have to be trucks.

The same people that regularly attack Marshall Farms for every imaginable
and unimaginable problem do attack them on this.  I don't think these
attacks are more accurate than the genetic ones.

My primary response to their attacks is simple.  How are people in remote
parts of the countries (remote from ferret breeders that is) going to get
ferrets if they aren't shipped?

>(Three years after my first ferret and I'm still learning!)

Anybody who isn't still learning about ferrets has got a very closed mind.

>From:    Michelle Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: bug problems?
>I have also noticed that some of the subscribers to this FML do not bathe
>their ferrets every week.  I was told and read that I needed to bathe her
>once every week,...

Nobody I know has all the answers.  But in our experience the more you bathe
a ferret, the more it smells.  The reasoning is that the more you wash away
the oils from the skin and fur the more oils the body has to make to
replenish them.  The scent comes from these fresh oils.  Ergo the more fresh
oils the skin has the more it smells.  The less it is washed away the less
fresh smelly oils.  Seems weird but it works.

More important to day to day smell control is ear cleaning.  Especially if
there is a chance of ear mites.  That wax is full of the same scented oils.

Our girls tend to get baths when the go to ferret shows.  Our boys with
their unique "perfume" need bathing more often.  Hobs use urine to attract
jills.  This is a different sort of odor problem than altered ferrets have.
And trust me a much worse one....

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/