From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:43:41 -0400
Hi Ela and liat readers,
While working with humane community I was made aware of this sad truth-
(no funding for non essential animals!).  Maddies fund was set up several
years ago and specifies what it will and will not cover.  Yes, ferrets
were new on the scene but they family who gave the money for Maddie's fund
specified for dogs and cats only-- as that is primarily what those SPCA,
HSUS shelters deal with-- and of course the fund originates in CA where
the ferret is a non animal-- a wild and devastating creature to the eco
system ( NOT!().

Anyway, there is nothing we can do EXCEPT write to ASPCA and HSUS and tell
them UNTIL there is funding available and UNTIL they start treating ferrets
as equal companion animals and support shelter programs for them -- we WILL
NOT be donating money to them.  When you get your unsolicited preprinted
forms with postage paid envelopes envelopes - DON't throw them away write a
note- send it back & let them pay for your message!

Unfortunately it is the financial threat of lost donor dollars that will
gain the ferret it's recognition-- to date, these institutions feel we
ferret fanciers a non essential to their funding -- so please remember
that when writing checks to HSUS and ASPCA!

Alicia

fighting for recognition of ferrets AS A COMPANION ANIMAL!