From:
nikie dover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:30:37 -0700
hi everyone, I just thought I would put my two cents in on the petco
situation.  I don't think it is just petco stores I live in Missouri and
recently went into a mall and in the petstore were the most beautiful
babies, so of course being a ferret owner I had to go play, There was a big
sign on the aquarium saying beware we bite, that was the first thing to
make me mad, the second was when I asked to hold one and the clerk informed
me that the cage is not locked and anyone can just stick thier hands in
there and grab one at thier own risk, and as I looked over there were to
kids picking them up by thier TAILS!  I had a fit the clerk didn't seem to
care, they were in the aquarium about 15 of them with pine shavings, they
had of course tipped thier water out and were eating rabbit food!  I asked
the clerk why they were in with shavings since that is very bad for them
and where the water and litter pans were and why on earth they were eating
rabbit food, she informed me ferrets are supposed to be in shavings, do not
use a litter box, and they were told to feed them rabbit food.  Needless to
say there was a huge scene, as I asked her to call the manager because I
would like to talk to him, he was at home and not too happy but we came to
some compromises, I took the bitting sign off the aquarium and they agreed
to at least supervise interaction with shoppers and ferret, since they sell
iams kitten there they agreed to feed them iams instead of rabbit food and
take out the shavings and put in the corn cob bedding, and I personally
hung the water bottles, I go back periodically to check on the fuzzies and
so far so good.  I geuss the threat of involving the humane society, ferret
shelter, and of course my constant harrassment didn't hurt!  So alot of
times the pet stores are ignorant and don't care they are out to make a
buck nad the ferret is just another product to sell.

Nikie,Max,Odie,Chloe,&Daisy