From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 10:12:23 EDT
>From:    Jenna Leigh <[log in to unmask]>
>Solution?  Not in the least.  Now I am simply scrubbing carpet every day
>and using a deodorizer to mask the stench.  I also cover the carpet in
>bitter apple almost hourly, but to no avail.

I have heard of others trying to use Bitter Apple for things like carpet
digging and litter box problems.  This is not going to work.  Bitter Apple
is good for keeping an animal's mouth off something.  It does nothing for
digging, litter problems, etc.  It has a bad taste.  If the animal doesn't
taste it, the Bitter Apple won't solve your problem.  So, in this case, if
the ferret doesn't lick the carpet before pottying on it, the Bitter Apple
will do absolutely nothing.

>As far as she's concerned, THAT is her potty, no matter how I try to train
>her otherwise.  I've half a mind to put the litter box back there.  But
>then I'd be right back where I started.

What about getting a second litter box and securing it to that corner?  When
I had only one ferret, she chose a corner for her bathroom.  I secured a
litter box there.  She used it, but used another corner as well.  I bought a
second litter box and secured it to the other corner.  I also had food,
water, or bedding (that she was actively using) in all other corners of her
cage.  She never even considered using any corners on the 2nd floor of her
2 level cage (where the bedding was).  For the lower level, I had 2 corners
with litter boxes, 1 with food, 1 with water and the bottom of the ramp to
the second level.  This worked great for her.

When I got my male, I got a new, bigger cage.  It has a large litter pan
"built in" and I have a toy secured to the only other corner on the bottom
level that the ferrets might consider using as a bathroom.  I have
approximately 99.5% success (in the cage) with this litter box.  The other
0.5% is the male not always backing into the box quite far enough.

Kim and The Dynamic Duo