From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 14:07:04 -0800
Reading Lizzi's post yesterday about her ferret needing a blood transfusion
really got me thinking!  If I ever found myself in that position, I would
hope that some kind soul would come to my aid-or should I say, the aid of
my ferret!  But that can-and should be turned around!  If someone else was
ever in need-I should be, (and would be) willing to help!  As it happened,
I had to go to see my Vet this morning to pick up a cat that had been left
overnight for tests.  While there, I told him about what happened to Lizzi
and said that should the need ever arise-I would be more than willing to
bring one of my boys in to help out!  He told me that in the last couple
months-the need has happened twice and both times the only ferret available
was one from the local pet store.  But, he also said, he can't always count
on the pet store having a ferret, and with pet store ferrets-especially
older ones turned because people no longer wanted them, he has no clue of
their health history!  Both times he used pet store ferrets, this risk was
explained to the owner of the ferret needing the blood and both times-since
it was "life or death", they decided to use the pet store ferret.  Then he
said he would much rather use a ferret that he knew the health history
of-and gladly accepted my offer!  He even wrote my name and number down on
a special card he keeps!  So I urge you to please contact your vet and let
him know you would be willing to allow your ferret to donate blood!
Someday, it could be your ferret needing the blood and won't you be
thankful when the Vet says he already has a donor lined up!!!  Save
time-save a life!  Call you vet!

(Way to go, Lydia!!!)

Judy Cooke
Tyson,Einstein and Hope
"The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure
of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything."
Clarence Darrow