From:
Gail Shochet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:14:00 -0400
It seems that I have learned a lot more about adrenal disease in the last
few days, although unfortunately not in a manner I would have liked.  My 6.5
year old, Elie, has been experiencing mild hair loss (nape and underside of
neck, extremities) for some time, as well as increased scratching, and
myself and my vet have suspected adrenal disease.  Other than that Elie was
active and playful.  I was in the process of trying to ascertain success
rates for the surgery for ferrets of his age.  My impression of adrenal
disease is that it is very slow-acting and that I had some time to decide.
Also Elie had lost a lot of weight when I was on vacation (he was ferret-sat
but for some reason went off his food), so I was building him back up to his
normal weight of 2.25 lbs before considering surgery.

Well, Thursday evening Elie started straining to 'go', backing up into a
corner but producing nothing.  He was making a whimpering noise which was
truly heart-breaking to hear, and would cling to me like a baby when picked
up.  I was up all night with him and was at the vet hospital when they
opened their doors, and they saw him shortly thereafter.  He was admitted
for testing and x-rays and possible exploratory surgery.  The vet mentioned
a possible connection to adrenal disease.  Up until this point I suspected a
blockage because I couldn't imagine this being connected (little did I know).

X-rays showed an enlarged bladder, and the vet decided to refer me to Dr.
Charles Weiss in Potomac.  I got an appointment for the early afternoon, and
off we went to Dr. Weiss.  Dr. Weiss explained to me that the adrenal
disease had caused Elie's prostate to enlarge and this prevented urination,
and recommended immediate surgery.  I concurred.  They drained Elie's
bladder with a small needle and operated, removing the right adrenal in its
entirety and about 60% of the left, as well as a small insulinoma on the
pancreas.  Elie recovered beautifully but they are still holding him because
bloodwork showed a kidney infection.  His prostate is slowly going down
because of the surgery, and he is having more success urinating.  He is
being treated aggressively with antibiotics for the kidney infection but
hopefully I may be able to pick him up this afternoon.  Dr. Weiss has been
just great and has called me every morning and evening with updates.

The moral of the story is that adrenal disease does not necessarily imply
only hair-loss, wasting of muscle, and lethargy--it has other complications
including enlarged prostate in males.  Also Dr. Weiss indicated that an
adrenal tumor on the left side can put pressure on a vein (?) and cause
problems in this manner.

I hope that I have explained everything correctly.  For all of you on the
east coast, I highly recommend Dr. Weiss for such surgery.  He is very
experienced and is doing a study on adrenal disease in ferrets which he
indicates will be out soon.  I will try to find out where and how to get a
copy.

Hopefully I can follow this up with the news that Elie is home and well on
his way to recovery.  Good luck to everyone else and I hope that this
posting helps someone else.

* This message is for information only, and unless otherwise specified, *
*     it does not constitute a binding commitment by Light Industries   *
*         Gail Snyder Shochet | INTERNET:    gshochet @ lightind.com    *
*         MCNE/MCSE           | COMPUSERVE:  gshochet @ light           *
*         Light Industries    | MHS:         gshochet @ light           *