From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 20:05:16 -0500
     I just got off the phone with Rita McDowell. The way her and Mike's
civil rights have been violated is frankly unbelievable. I must shamefully
admit that when I first heard of their case I didn't plan to contribute
either monetarily or even with the moral support of a phone call or letter.
Kansas seemed so remote to me up here in Canada; I thought I'd let other
people help them out. Besides, they had been so obviously wronged, I thought
things would *have* to be straightened out. So I casually sat back and waited
to hear that things had turned out all right for them. Well far from turning
out all right, things have continued to worsen. You all read in issue 721
that Mike has been fired from his job on the basis of being unreliable,
dishonest, and uncooperative, despite his not having been shown to be guilty
of *anything* regarding the case. Now Rita has received a bill for $1500 to
cover the "victim's" medical treatments, which she must pay by March 6th or
face possible imprisonment. And their legal bills to date total over $10,000,
despite the fact that their lawyer has been somewhat less than helpful all
along (he ignored the McDowell's protests during the trial that certain
witnesses for the prosecution were telling outright lies, and that they
could prove they were lies, and has advised them that they have no legal
recourse against local newspapers printing blatant falsehoods regarding the
affair, and that they themselves would be subject to slander if they try to
get the truth published).

     Another obstacle they face is the media. It seems all of the local papers
have printed and reprinted this story, all with the angle of some fanatical
ferret owners protecting their 'vicious, wild animal' from rightful seizure
by the authorities. No one has published the McDowell's side.

     Something must be done. A precedent needs to be set here to protect
the rights of ferrets and their owners against such injustice. In fact, even
disregarding the ferret issue entirely, this blatant violation of civil rights
should not be tolerated.

     I would like to urge everyone out there to give your support to the
McDowells. Sure, money's tight for many of us right now, but if we all give
a little, together we can make a *big* difference. I personally just bought
a new house, and take possession March 1st. With all the legal fees and Land
Titles fees and etc, not to mention the cost of buying appliances for my
new home, money's kind of tight for me too. Nevertheless, I'll be sending
the McDowells a contribution of $100. In addition, I plan to continue to
contribute a little on a monthly basis until this is all worked out. This
may seem difficult, but how can I worry about my nice new house when the
McDowells are losing theirs? Besides, when I ask myself if I'd spend $100
to protect *my* ferrets' rights, the answer is unequivocally yes! I'm sure
most of us can spare a little. For instance, if you plan to catch a movie
or eat out some night, skip it that one night and send that money to the
McDowells. Once again, their address and phone number is:

     Mike & Rita McDowell
     Box 432
     Onaga, Kansas 66521
     913-889-7180

     A note to Canadian contributors: if possible, rather than a personal
cheque it might be better if you could send a money order, in US funds. When
the McDowells tried to cash a cheque for $30 Canadian, the bank gave them
seven dollars! At the current exchange rate $30 Canadian should be worth
about $23 American. It seems like every way they turn Rita and Mike get
the shaft!

     I know that not everyone can afford to contribute money. If you just
can't spare the cash, then send the McDowells a supportive letter. Rita
said I was the first person to call in a couple of weeks. They are both
feeling very discouraged, and need our support. As Debra said in issue 721,
surely everyone can afford the price of a stamp and letter. In addition,
post to the various media at your disposal to let as many people as possible
know what's happening, and that the situation has worsened rather than been
resolved. Also, if you live in Kansas, contact the local papers and ask them
how they can print the lies they've been printing. Demand that they publish
the truth rather than sensationalist garbage designed to sell papers. I
don't know much about the legal or political systems in the States (or Canada
for that matter :), but there must also be people in government to whom we
can voice our concerns (the State Department perhaps?).

     The McDowells are good, ferret-loving folks who've been treated in an
unconscionable manner by a corrupt system for God only knows what reasons.
They need our help. Please, let's give it to them.

John, Buddy, and Cassidy