From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:21:48 -0500
Jennifer writes
>I believe the 'new' Carafate is 1 mg. tablets (long, white) and the
>directions are as follows:
>Add 1/2 tablet to 20 mL water and give 1/2 mL (.5mL) every 8-12 hrs.
>Also, on the bottle of Cafafate tablets it reads,  "DO NOT give within
>1 hr. of other meds" so I either have to wait an hr. after giving the
>carafate to give soup mixed with Pred or give soup by itself and give
>Pred and Pepto Bismol separately, which Phoebe hates, unless I mix both
>with Linatone in the syringe.

Yes I would think your mixture is too dilute.  I mix one full tablet
with 10 ml water and given .5 to 1 ml 10-20 minutes before feeding.
This matches the concentration in the liquid formulation.  Do not try
to crush the tablet, it actually doesn't dissolve as well that way.

I've been told by a well known ferret vet that Carafate binds
preferentially to the ulcer sites, and does not coat the entire stomach,
so waiting a long time to give meds is not necessary in ferrets.

I've not had a problem mixing other meds with soup.

Warm wishes for Phoebe.

Linda

International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org