From:
Jack Lechelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 09:19:58 EDT
Hey there all,
My wife and I have three beautiful two year old ferret boys.  All has been
well in our household, however, my wife and I decided to add a dog to our
home.  We have an incredibly adorable one and a half pound Chihuahua puppy
that is very cuddly and happy.  What makes me happiest is that the dog
seems to really love her big brothers: every time they come over she gets
excited and runs up to them and wants to play.

As always, there is a flip side.  The ferret boys are very apprehensive.  I
have read many times that big changes in their lives can through them off
for a while and this is obviously one of the biggest changes.  The ferrets
act the same when they are in different rooms and are still themselves
but when I bring one of them over to the puppy, they tend to freeze up:
almost like a possum.  They just lay there completely still and practically
nonresponsive.  On their own, they will go up to her for a few seconds and
sniff her bedding and whatnot so I am hoping it will only take time.

My questions: what is the best way to acquaint all parties?  If the ferrets
freeze up with the puppy, is it not good to introduce them that way?  I
certainly don't like the idea that the boys may be terrorized sitting
there.  Is it better to let them figure each other out on their own terms?

In any event, I am looking for some advice; anything you guys can offer
would be greatly appreciated.

Please email me at [log in to unmask]
Sincerely,
Jack & Melissa