From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:45:55 -0700
As someone who sheltered ferrets for almost 20 years I agree that being
nice is really important. And at the tender age of 69 I am of the
generation taught to say "thank you" upon pain of death. Truly truly I
appreciated each and every gift including the big box that came from
Alaska, the wonderful presents of cozy sleep sacks, the money pledged
from a member's winnings at the boats, the flowers someone brought for
me along with gifts for the ferrets. I appreciated beyond words the
time people devoted to cleaning cages, taking ferrets to the vet, and
transporting rescues from Ohio. (I asked for 10. She brought me 16.)

Which is why I was distressed when I could not tear myself away from
the sick kids, or the ones depressed by being suddenly abandoned in
old age, in time to say thank you right away. Equally distressing was
trying to figure out who to thank. (For some reason I thought "AK"
meant Arkansas rather then Alaska). I remember a large gift from
someone whose name was familiar but whose address I never found. They
were not on our adoption lists but I was sure that they had contributed
before. Several people in the phone book shared their last name. I
sorrowfully regret that they were never properly thanked.

Those of us who shelter want you to know that we love and appreciate
your gifts. Please, please include a complete name and address and
please forgive us if we don't express our thanks as we should. When
you shelter you learn to prioritize, often painfully. Our resourses
are finite and you must know this or you would not want to help us
in the first place.

Bobbi McC, formerly of the Kansa City Ferret Hotline