From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:51:09 -0700
I know many have already blazed this trail, so rather than me trying to
re-invent the wheel, I'll draw on your experience before I begin this
journey.

My county has ferrets regulated by the Dept of wildlife.  They also
impose a $100 per ferret, per year license fee on ferrets, which is
non-transferable.  So if I take in give-ups or strays, I should license
them and then when I adopt them out, they need to be licensed again.
Nice money maker if anyone actually did it.  We've got a couple shelters
that keep a low profile - The county knows we exist and there's just an
unspoken agreement to leave it alone.  I'm not really comfortable with
this and would like to work towards educating the and petitioning to get
the regs changed.

My questions are:
1) I feel that I have a lot to lose.  13 of them to be exact.  I'm
wondering if the person with that much at steak should even be attempting
this challenge?  It would certainly take me out of that low profile
category.

2) Where to you start on this effort - I realize I would need to 1st get
an understanding of the agencies involved and exactly what the rules are.
But do you go to the agencies themselves to try to effect a change or do
you go through your local politicians, etc.?

Thanks, appreciate your help.  BIG: If you think this will create too
much traffic on the FML, feel free to put a note on the end to contact
me personally.  [No, I think it's fine.  BIG]

Jerri Carel, The Ferret Haven, Louisville, KY