Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:34:18 EDT
Over the years I've been on this list, the subject of ferrets'
susceptibility to various medical problems seems to come up fairly
frequently, with new folks questioning whether ferrets are actually more
prone to medical problems that are other pets.  The majority of responses
I have seen to these posts indicate that ferrets do not exerience more
problems than other animals, it just seems that way because people with
problems post for advice, while folks with healthy pets don't typically
write in just to say "my ferrets are healthy".  I have to disagree with
this.

I have seven ferrets who range in age from just under three years to seven
years old.  Of these, my oldest, Bandit has insulinoma and Jasmine, who
will be six in December has adrenal disease.  Mandrake who will be 4 in
January is showing early signs of insulinoma/hypogycemia.  That's 43% of
my ferret family, which seems pretty significant to me.  I realize that
the more ferrets one owns, the more likely it is to have a ferret with a
medical problem.  But consider: If I had stopped at one, Bandit, well
he's sick.  If I stopped at two, okay that drops us down to 50%, as Gandy
remains quite healthy (knock wood), but then if we add number three
Jasmine, we're up to 66%, then number 4, Mandy, 75%.  Granted, numbers 5,
6, and 7 aren't sick, but they're also still young.  Now when I compare
this to the cats and dogs I've had over the years, its becomes very obvious
to me that ferrets DO experience more health problems than other pets.

For me, knowing the reality frequent medical problems would not have
prevented me from getting ferrets.  But in all honestly, I would not have
let my family grow so large, so quickly.  And that is hard for me to say
because there is not one of them I would give up.  If I had stopped at 4,
then there would be no Aislyn, Merlin, and Myst.  And I wouldn't give them
up for the world.  But it is also difficult to watch them lose their
health.  And it is very expensive.  I can't even begin to add up what I
have spent on Jasmine in surgeries, ultrasounds, blood tests, lupron... we
just call her our "million dollar ferret" and leave it at that.  Now Bandit
will start on proglycem, which will run over $100 per month.  These
expenses are inconventient to me and will require adjustment in my spending
in other areas, but they are manageable.  I realize we are fortunate that
my husband and I have jobs which allow us to afford this medical care with
relatively minor sacrifice.  But I also know that were I in the financial
situation I was in 10 years ago, none of this would have been possible.
Then what??  For an animal lover, I can't imagine anything quite as
devastating as knowing a pet is suffering because the treatment is
unaffordable.

My intention for writing this is not to say that only rich people should
have ferrets.  I don't believe that, nor am I rich.  But I think it is
only fair to let people know what to expect in the way of ferrets' medical
problems so that they can make an informed decision related to their own
financial situation and potential need for medical care.  I think it is
also a grave disservice to the ferret shelters to not let potential and
new ferret owners know of the common occurrence of insulinoma and adrenal
disease, as this is where the ferrets end up when these owners are faced
with a $400 sugery bill/$1200 per year medication bill they hadn't planned
on ("I thought ferrets were supposed to be healthy animals, lets get a cat
instead").

Please, those of you who find yourselves victims of ferret math, please
seriously consider your current ferrets' ages, as well as your financial
situation.  Do you have the financial resources and the time and energy to
care for all of them?  In sickness and health?  Make sure the answer is yes
to these questions before you bring that cute fluff ball into your home.
Its only fair to your current ferrets, the one your are considering, and
yourself.  Caring for sick ferrets can be physically and financially
draining, as well as heartbreaking.

I know some of you, perhaps many have ferrets who are not and never will be
ill with these diseases.  Believe me when I say you (and your ferrets) are
very fortunate.

Lucie

                        @-"-@
                    o00 -\o/- 00o