From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:58:40 -0400
The day before Thanksgiving, 1997, Ferret Rescue of the Western States
received a call from a ferret owner in the local area (Colorado Springs).
She had a adopted a 5-6 year old ferret some months before and the shelter
had done vaccinations and a free skin cyst surgery for her on previous
occasions at no charge.  She said her family was going to Texas for the
holiday and wanted to give up her ferret, "Ronnie".  Not board, but
relinquish.  Right now.  What a sad situation.  We knew this ferret to be
very sweet, but because of his age, he had had a difficult time adusting to
losing his home several months before.  This was sure to be a challenge for
all of us.

We went within the hour to collect him.  During the next several days he
grew increasingly more depressed.  For three weeks he hovered near death.
He was on IV fluids, antibiotics, immune system support and round the clock
nursing care.  That is what happens when these older ferrets lose their
homes.  Finally he recovered, to our relief, and he has been very happy
here since.  He underwent another cyst surgery a few months ago, including
a minor tail tip amputation to deal with a cyst there.

Two weeks ago, Ronnie began losing his hair rapidly, indicating an adrenal
tumor.  The hair loss was unusually rapid, and considering his age, we had
to suspect other problems.  Yesterday he had his most drastic surgery; an
adrenal tumor and 1/4 of his liver which was so diseased that it looked like
it had been overcooked on a barbeque.  Today he is eating and resting toward
recovery.  He isn't out of the woods yet, but he has the heart of a warrior.
His surgery was more expensive that we normally face, and he is also on pain
medication which is expensive.  He continues on antibiotics and special
diet.

Our surgical cases have been widely supported by ferret friends on the FML.
And, in fact, Ronnie has received a donation from Jackie Rice, a Canadian
ferret owner.  She paid for part of this surgery and we are most grateful
for her generosity.  We appeal to those of you who may be able to fill the
gap with either partial or full donations, to help us with Ronnie's surgical
costs.  Since I have been unable to work outside the home due to a
disability, our shelter has continued to function on a case-by-case donation
basis.  No ferret has been denied care.  Actually, we did two adrenal
surgeries yesterday.  The other patient is also doing well.

If you can help Ronnie, I know he will want to send a personal thank you
for giving him his life.  He was a very, very sick ferret.  Although he is
older, he deserves all the time we can give him.  He will have a good life
here at our shelter forever.

  Carolyn Kinsey
  Ferret Rescue of the Western States
  140 W. 29th St., Suite 191