From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:47:39 -0400
>From: Samual Lloyd Kinsey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Toilet/Weight Problems
>A few months ago Shadrach (three year old male) began to put on some
>significant extra weight.  So much, in fact, that he is having trouble
>moving around.

We have a ferret in our shelter that suffers from Hyperthyroidism, which I
understand is fairly rare in a ferret.  This was discovered after he put on
a ton of weight.  He's still very large these days but his daily medication
(Siloxine (sp?)) keeps it somewhat under control.

I won't say that this is what's wrong with Shadrach, but it's one
possibility to look at.  I think there's a relatively simple blood test that
will reveal this condition and I believe it's called a T6 test, but don't
quote me on that.

I've never heard of a ferret becoming overweight just from eating too much
if the ferret is getting a normal, healthy diet.

If you like, you can see Sammy, the ferret with Hyperthyrodism, on our
website in the "Ferret Sponsorship" page.  It's only a head and shoulders
picture, but you can get an idea how chubby he is.  The address of the site
is in my signature.  Good luck with Shadrach.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.gate.net/~mjanke