From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:48:42 -0400
Becca, of course, the opposite may be true; since vitamins didn't usually
get given back then perhaps some of the things seen reflect too MUCH of
some dietary component.  (Aren't I a royal pain in the whazzoo?) There
certainly is an increasing litany of study-supported problems with too much
of certain nutrients in humans, the range of which spreads to include more
every year or two.  Then again, so many things were less looked-for that
missing such problems in large numbers back then was very possible.  It's
all so up in the air.  In humans there are already levels known to be too
large for some B vitamins, C, E, calcium, iron, and some others, I believe.
The problems with too little are serious, but megadoses carry risks which
at times are just as large.  Moderation makes sense, but there's the
question of how to define moderation when the values needed still are not
well known.  Don't megadose, though; more often is anything but better.

Chris , didn't you also say a while back that very dark sleeping boxes are
also common in your area?  When looking at light those would also have to
be taken into account.  How aware of adrenal possibilities are your local
vets, and do people pursue vet care for symptoms like fur loss or swollen
vulvas?  How many are whole?  Etc., etc, etc.... Info never hurts as long
as people accept the limitation of that information.  We find information
very useful, but accept that a lot of stuff is unknown.

Kurt and Sara wrote:
>On the subject of which ferrets are more likely to get adrenal tumors, one
>of our vets who sees a LOT of ferrets has told us that, given the relative
>population sizes, he sees proportionately the same numbers of Marshall
>Farms (early neuter) ferrets and private breeder ferrets that weren't
>neutered until later in life.  Given how much larger the population of MF
>ferrets in this country is, it's easy to say that they get more adrenal
>tumors, but his experience (and ours!) doesn't seem to bear that out.

We also have NOT seen a higher rate with MFs in the ferrets with whom we
share our lives, but that is in comparison to other early neuters from a
wide range of sources, large and small.  Our adrenal rates are lower than
some people expect and we have had only one early adrenal (age 3 and 1/2).
Getting solid numbers about whether 6 month neuters make any difference at
all would be so useful.  We all need the rates for early neuters, for late
neuters, and for whole but those figures just don't exist.  Rates are
essential to know.  Numbers have to be adjusted for the proportion in the
population used or they will be meaningless.

From what we have read and seen mast cell tumors are almost never malignant
in ferrets, unlike some other mammals.  It is not unusual to have them
reoccur.  One person had a ferret whose response to the vaccinations
getting worse was blamed by a vet on the mast cell tumors since they do
secrete histamine.  We have not had that experience, and have heard of
no one else stating that as a contributing factor.

Re Australia for Anonymous: When considering S. H.'s descriptions of their
local increases in ovarian malignancies seen when jills were left unspayed
I suspect you might be looking at a different factor.  If "OWNERS" resisted
spaying that is NOT the fault of vets and does not make the vets unable to
study changes in adrenal rates and pattern associated with that.  Such a
study would need to be conducted by a competent professional.

>As long as I can remember science has said ferrets can only see shades of
>black and white.  Ferret owners contend that they may see red also.  Well
>have proof that at least one of my ferrets can see red ...no doubt!

Actually, Becca, there is a range with many apparently having red, and some
having no color while others see far more colors.  'Chopper the Organic
Helicopter used to see blue and stashed blue things preferentially.  She
did this on her own and we didn't realize till later.  It continued till
she lost too much sight to protein building up in her lenses.

The best litter depends on the situation.  Usually we prefer wood pellets,
but when one has had surgery, or if only one to three will use a box then
Yesterday's News works as well as or better than the wood pellets.  It
literally stinks for large numbers from our experience, though.