From:
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:04:08 -0700
>From:    Avatar <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper symptoms

Partially from "Biology and Diseases of the Ferret" editted by James G Fox

First anorexia.  Then a rash on the chin later on the anus and rest of the
face.  Runny nose.  The ferret will not tolerate light well.  The eyes will
ooze.  The paw pads will get hard.  Brown crusts will form on the lips, eyes
and nose.  An orange skin rash.  If the ferrets live past this they will
start showing neurologic symptoms like twitching and general loss of
muscular control.

In this chapter the authors of this chapter (Viral and Chlamydial Diseases)
state that a modified live vaccine with an origin from chick embryo tissue
which would include FROMM-D or Fervac-D can be used to help prevent this
horrific disease.  "In fact, some canine CDV vaccines may be contraindicated
for ferrets" so they specifically warn against others as ineffective or
likely to induce the disease.  Some canine distemper vaccines now on the
market effective for animals other than ferrets should not be used.  Simian
origin was not mentioned specifically.  They also specifically discuss
improper dosage (2-ml instead of 1-ml) killing BFF jills at the onset of the
captive breeding program so care in dosage might be indicated.  I won't
speculate on rushing the 3 week interval specified by United but we will not.

>From:    Tetsuro Oka <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccination
>No.2 to 4 ferrets have increased antibody for CPV CAV1 CPIV.
>Does it means ferrets are sensitive for them?

If Jeff or a vet respond their information will probably be better, and if I
misunderstand this I hope they correct me.

As i understand it, for a virus to cause a problem in an animal it would
have to have a specific location on the genes of that animal it can "latch"
on to - it has to have a series of DNA building blocks that match a
complementary set of DNA building blocks in the animals chromosomes.  CDV
has a location it can get into on ferrets.

Titer is un-related.  It is a measurement of "stuff" that gets in the way of
the virus as it tries to latch onto the animal's DNA.

Having titer means the agent to prevent infection is present, but it doesn't
mean that there was the genetic location for the virus to attack.

Hope I got that right and explained it clearly enough ...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]