From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:41:10 -0400
Some basic pointers for insulinoma:

Because to skipping the liver processing step Prednisolone works better
than Prednisone for a number of ferrets.

Ferrets typically do not have problems with steroid side effects so
can gradually build up to very high doses, much more so than for many
mammals.

Diazoxide can be given in addition to Prednisolone.

Until the problem is very advanced it pays go high-protein in diet to be
safest based on a hypothesis which is out there but when it becomes very
advanced adding sugar to the diet gives extra quality time after meds no
longer work.

The insluinoma tumors gradually replace normal tissue and suppress other
normal tissue so that it doesn't turn out insulin any longer.

Insulinoma tumors themselves are not responsive to blood glucose levels;
they just turn out huge amounts of insulin no matter what.

Insulinoma tumors tends to be very small so it can be hard to find them
all; when the location permits it is common to remove a section of
pancreas instead of just a tumor.

Here are some places for info:

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG9207
Shoot!  I was going to put in multiple ones at
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
but I am having trouble with my browser server; the thunderstorms which
have left here are probably there now.  Anyway, search there.
Also, since I can't get there to find anything more for you check out
the Critical Refs in
http://www.ferretcongress.org