From:
Allbill System <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 14:55:53 -0400
This is my very first post to the FML ... and the act leaves me feeling ...
well ... how can I say ... just draw into your awareness the mental picture
of your favorite fuzzy friend!

Maybe I'm being a bit of a 'FML' fan, but in spite of the posts about
flames and other transitory issues, the FML seems to be one of the best
ways to gain info on our "souls-on-four-legs"!  I can say this because it
is this list that connected me with Maryjo <[log in to unmask]>, who gave
us great advice on coping with Insulinoma, and who connected us with Steve
and Diane <[log in to unmask]>, who connected us with 'Devil's
Club', (which in spite of all the medical folks who say herbs can not
possibly help with any illness, come see Jake!):o)

FYI ... Jake was diagnosed with Insulinoma about 3 weeks ago.  Like any
true 'fert-parent', I got onto the net and surfed many hours (thank you
phone company for regional calling to my ISP!) to find out how to help
Jake.  From there, I found 'Timmy & Friends Ferret Page'
<concentric.net/~gferret/>
which helped me realize, among much more, that the very water I was
providing Jake could be hurtful!  Just think about it, if we humans find
the water we drink distasteful, we can purchase something else at the
grocery, but (obviously) ferts can not!

To make this story just a bit shorter, I learned that limiting sugar (those
vit. pastes are full of it!) and giving Brewer's Yeast could help my
friend.  Even before he saw his doc. (who I might add, seems to be one of
the best fuzzy docs in Central NY!  But I am merely prejudiced!), his
health improved with diet and H2O change.

And then I discovered the FML ... and mjo, and newrainbow.  So at this
point in time, Jake gets Devils Club in the AM and PM, with a/d and
filtered H2O ... followed by Brewer's yeast with pred (we're now down to
approx.  .75mg q day without any symptoms of Insulinoma ... hurrah Jake!).
By the by ... since I started Jake on the Devils Club, he has pooped out
some of the blackest, sickest looking BM's I've every seen (and I have
worked with kids and M.R. folks for years!)!!!!!  My fantasy is that this
is the tumor working it's way out ;o)  And I do not worry too much, 'cause
his energy is way up, he's eating like the TF will disappear if he doesn't
hide it quickly enough, and Jake does the "war-dance' like a fert on
"shore-leave"!  Oh how I missed that when he first got sick:o)

In closing, I'd like to say "Thanx" to those I mentioned above!  And
I would like to say to all those who post, flame, or complain on this
list ... keep it up, it's all part of the process!  It's all merely a
portion of experience!  Even the flames are wonderful, 'cause through
reading them I have crafted an even clearer pix of what kind of 'human'
I am!  And now I will see if Jake wants to play ... like a fert
wouldn't??!??  ;o) G&J

[Moderator's note: Hmmm, maybe I should forward the flames I *don't* post
to you ;-)  BIG]