From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:02:23 -0600
The ferret costs mentioned by Rebecca Stout

> -- Cost.  And boy there's plenty of it to go around.  Here's a mini list
> of living costs:
>   - liter needed every week (average 10 bucks a bag)
>   - food (average 15 bucks a bag)
>   - laxitone, ferretone (18 bucks right there)
>   - cleaners for cages, pans, and cleaners for accidents  (bleach, water,
>     simple solutions or oxyclean, etc)
>   - grooming products. Ear cleaner, ferret shampoo, toothpaste, God knows
>    what else
>   - laundry bill (electricity, water, and laundry detergent costs ...
>     and it does add up)
>   - yearly shots
>   - vet bills for care
>   - contingencies.  Baby food, syringes, styptic powder (or whatever it's
>     called) for nail clipping (in case of bleeds), medicines, etc
>   - accessories such as leashes, etc
>   - set up costs (ready for this one?) ... cage, liter pans, nail
>     clippers, tooth brush, water bottle, food dish, toys, hammocks,
>     blankees, ..... I know I'm not thinking of everything but you get
>     the point.  This is very costly.

seem high to me.  There are ways around the expense, if one is willing to
look t alternatives.

Litter?  Not n my house.  We use newspaper scrounged from the recycling
bins.  Cheap and easy .  In their favorite spots in the house, we put
plastic carpet runner cut to fit and then put newspaper on top.

Laxitone or ferretone?  18 dollars a tube?  I don't know where Rebecca
lives, but one can find it cheaper.

Bleach?  A dollar bottle at the dollar store.  Nature's Miracle can
usually be bought two for one at the Petco nd then we dilute it.

And speaking of the dollar store, it's also a good places for toys.
Cat jingle balls and feathers on a stick.  Even some human baby toys.
And then there is the homemade kind such as paper bags and plastic easter
eggs (also from the dollar store).  Take a nice slow walk around the
place, you' be surprised what you can find.  Tissue paper to stuff in
bags.  Pet dishes.  it's a gold mine and all you need is a little
imagination.

Grooming items?  Again the dollar store for combs or brushs.  And we use
human baby shampoo with good results.  And saine solution for cleaning
out those cute little ears

Hammocks and sleep sacks?  Buy old T-shirts at the rummage sale's bag
sale and make your own.

Cages?  Look around.  Ebay, your neighborhood garage ale or rummage sale
al have cges for less.

The only real expense we have is vet bills and leashes.

The only real commitment one need to make is to spend time and take the
time.  The rest (except for vet bills) can be worked around.

anne