From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 00:31:19 +0800
>From:    Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
>This issue has been blown out of proportions again - as usual.

I don't think so.  The AFA has looked bad in the past and this incident has
made them look bad again - even if it wasn't the intent.

>The only requirements for AFA sanctioned shows is rabies and distemper
>vaccinations with vaccines USDA approved for use in ferrets.

Then why was it stated by you to an exhibitor/vender that the ADV proof was
a new policy?  Why was she singled out and nobody else was - or were they?

>AFA is working on some sort of policy in regards to ADV.

I thought the AFA did not put forward any policies?  Or is that on abuse
only?

>It is not feasible for everyone to be testing their ferrets for ADV
>before shows.

Exactly.  So how could anybody ever comply to the policy?

>The test for ADV is only as good as the moment the test is done.

Yep - ADV antigens have been identified in ferrets as early as 3 days after
exposure.

>We are asking that people in the ferret community who have or have had
>known positive ADV ferret in their care to provide ADV test results taken
>prior to the show.

So if they don't have reason to think their ferret is positive (i.e. not
sick) then, are they welcome to the show?  So if they know they have
positive ferrets and the AFA does not, does that mean they can come to the
show?  Or will they not tell anybody they have positive ferrets?  I know
of folks that will/would do this just so they can show.

>This was developed by folks in the ferret community who do have positive
>ADV ferrets in their care.

But you just said it was developed by the board!  You are telling me the
WHOLE board has ADV positive ferrets!?!?!?!  Do they need to provide proof
of negative if they wish to attend the show?  I know of a few folks with
positive ferrets (that show a lot) that did not know of this policy, nor
talks of it.  It was never talked about on the public ADV list.  Maybe it
was talked about on a private one.

>Right now, this policy is for AFA hosted and sanctioned shows.  This
>policy will evolve as more information is gathered through research.

I suggest it be stated in the AFR AND on the AFA's website.  It should also
be put in the show packets.

I really do not see how this policy will be effective.  I know of several
ferrets that test positive and then negative with the CEP test over and
over.  I also know of others that test positive with a CEP test and
negative with an IFA and PCR test.  Also - ferrets have been studied on
and found that some strains are developed with in 3 days after exposure to
the virus.  How long will the "proof" be good for?

>I don't understand how or why you think AFA is singling you out.

How many other folks have gotten the same "you have to test" letter?
Nobody I doubt!

>This policy is for all attendees who have or have had a ferret test
>positive for ADV in their care.

How do you know more people do not have ferrets that are positive and you
just don't know about it (if that is possible)?

>If I had not personally raised a concern over ADV after visiting the
>White's in San Antonio in the fall of 98, there could be many more ferrets
>infected with this dreadful disease.

MANY people have raised concerns over ADV - FOR YEARS!  Long before you did
in 1998.  After all ADV in ferret has been known about for about 50 years!
If you don't think this is true, search the FML archives.  Search the Web.
It is all there.  But in the past nobody did anything about it - even the
AFA.  So it must have hit very close to home for the AFA to take notice,
huh?

>I raised such concern, many ferrets have been tested and the ferret
>population, as a whole, is now safer for that testing.

Really?  I think the testing has caused more heartache, lying, back
stabbing, finger pointing, bickering, uncertainties, and more then good
for ferrets.  Most ferrets that test positive for ADV do not get sick.  And
if they DO get sick - well it must be from the ADV - even if it is not.

>I had many other exhibitors and vendors express a wish to not be located
>next to you.

And I have heard of folks not wanting to be next to the AFA booth at shows
as well.  It goes both ways.

>AFA's primary goal is for the safety and protection of all ferrets.

Lately I wonder about that - and I am sure many others do, too.

>At this time, there are only two ferret households attending the event
>that have had known ADV positive ferrets, yours and Danee DeVores.

But you don't know this for sure.  What if there are ferrets out there that
are positive and you don't know it.  What if folks are lying about their
ferrets status?  Are you going to require negative proof to folks (the GP)
bringing their ferrets with them to the show just to watch the show?

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
Perth, Western Australia
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521