Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:07:00 EDT
For those that don't know - my wife and I foster for Ferrets Unlimited
Rescue Services. I think it was last year when Baby Gurl came to us
as a part of a trio - Stuart Little and Atone. All three had health
issues. Baby Gurl's condition dictated that she not be ID tagged since
we didn't think she was going to make it. Here it is September and
Stuart is 'not so' Little, Atone seems to be growing his coat back but
Baby Gurl's condition finally did turn for the worse last Tuesday. We
worked late that night and came home and thought she was doing the
sleep of the dead thing because she does that so well. Little did we
know it was not just the sleep of the dead. A few hours later I woke to
her screams as she was having a seizure. Instead of heading to work we
headed to the vet. As luck would have it their resident ferret expert
was scheduled to be in that morning. Baby Gurl was to come home with
us once again. We spent a lot of time cuddling and napping over the
weekend. My wife fed her every few hours a mix of Carnivore Care (which
I won as a prize @ the Buckeye Bash), Uncle Jim's Duk Soup and a
concoction made by Jean Caputo-Lee (Jean we're almost out!). She
readily lapped this up. She was put on several meds which she wanted
no part of. You could see in her eyes that she was tired.

To make an already long story short we brought Baby Gurl with us to
work on Monday. We spent our break time and our lunch time tending to
her needs. She readily ate the food and it seemed like her appetite
increased! When I went out four hours later she was hyperventilating.
It was close to the end of the day so we tried several things to help
(sub Q's and honey on the lips) then we rushed her to the vet once
again. This time the diagnosis was worse. There wasn't much that could
be done. It looked like something in her belly burst and let out a lot
of fluid and blood. We used up a lot of shelter money and personal
money trying to make her healthy. It didn't matter to us that it was a
shelter ferret. We had no choice but the toughest choice anyone would
have to make. Baby Gurl please forgive me. I only wish if I am given
a choice between Heaven and the Rainbow Bridge I will see you again.

I love you.
Dave