From:
Sandee Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:33:07 -0700
Sometimes the new arrivals make me laugh.  I know, the Afterworld is
such a serious place to Hoomins that it almost seems wrong, but I just
can't help it sometimes.  That's how it was yesterday with a brand new
arrival - a bright boy named Elvis.

I was cleaning my glasses with an old rag when I heard footsteps on The
Bridge.  Now, I don't really need glasses, but I thought they might make
me look more dignified.  It's hard for us up here in the Afterworld to
look dignified when all we do is run around like mad weasels -- always
playing, jumping here, twisting there, and then falling asleep on our
backs curled in the strangest positions.  No dignity at all, it would
seem, so I thought glasses might do the trick.  And with all the
cavorting around we do up here, my new glasses always seem to be dirty.
I had just put them on my face when I spotted Elvis coming across The
Bridge.

Elvis had the usual puzzled look on his face, not sure of where he was or
what he was doing here.  They all have that look when they first cross
over, and I know exactly what to do.  I introduced myself and explained
to Elvis where he was.  Once he got used to the idea he seemed to feel
a bit better, but I could tell there was still something wrong.  I
explained to him that he soon he would be able to meet up with his
brother Gizmo and his sister Sissy, hoping that would cheer him up.
Elvis smiled, and I saw his eyes start to water.  I had to explain to
him the rule about tears -- no tears allowed, I told him.  I gave him my
old rag to wipe his eyes, just in case the Boss was watching.  I didn't
want Elvis' tears to get me in trouble with the Boss, happy tears or not.

But as I gave him my old rag to dry his eyes, he seemed to be uneasy
again, almost seeming disappointed.  I tried harder.  I told Elvis about
all the great stuff we have to eat up here in the Afterworld.  I told him
that he would have as much time as he wanted to play, and that I would
show him all the best places to hide.  I even told him that eventually we
would get his wings and would be able to zip around all over the place!
The idea of flying always cheers up our new arrivals.  Ferrets are always
trying to fly in the Hoomin world, and usually have nothing to show for
it except a bump on the noggin.  To hear that they will really be able
to fly with their own wings usually makes them ecstatic, and while Elvis
perked up a bit upon hearing this, he still seemed to be down in the
dumps.

I started to get frustrated.  My job here is to make the new arrivals
comfortable and happy, but I seemed to not be doing a very good job with
Elvis.  Finally, I asked him what was wrong.  Was there something special
I could do for him?

He asked me, "Is this my blanket?"  At first, I didn't know what he was
talking about.  He was still holding the old rag I gave him to dry his
eyes.  "Is this my new blanket?" he asked.  Goodness gracious, he thought
this old rag was his new blanket!  I told him, "Oh my, not at all, this
is just an old rag.  The blankets in the Afterworld are huge, thick,
and soft -- nothing at all like this old rag."  I laughed my self silly
thinking about how he thought this was going to be his new blanket!
Elvis told me how he used to have a blanket just like this old rag, but
then his mom rescued him and gave him a great new blanket to sleep with.
He said he missed his mom, and his brother Sammy and his sister Noni,
and that he missed the smell of them on his old blanket.

Ah, so that was it.  I told him that we would get him one of the best
blankets we had, and I would get the Boss to put the smell of his family
on it so he could feel right at home.  Elvis seemed so relieved after
that, and we both walked with a spring and a twist in our step as I
showed him to his new hidey hole.  He was going to settle in just fine -
blanket, wings, and all.

Sandee