From:
Anjanette Nuzzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:42:01 +0000
Dear Bridget,
I have had ferrets for two years now and I just turned 18.  I take care
of my own fuzzies and I have four of them.  Although I just recently
graduated I know what it feels like to have school, a job and fuzzies.
Please feel free to e- mail me if you need a fellow student to relate to,
for now, here is my advice.

I used to get up a half an hour early to let my fuzzies run around for
that short amount of time, but it helped to wake them up and get them
some exercise for the day.  Then I would go to school and let them out as
soon as I got back and would usually sit down and do my homework in my
room where they run around that way I was still there.  Then I would
leave them in the room while I did other things.  (I have since learned
my lesson.  You should NEVER let your ferrets run around unsuppervised).
I would say a MINIMUM of two hours is an okay amount of play time, but
any more would be better.  Ferrets can and will sleep 20 out of the 24
hours in a day, so don't be suprised if you let your ferrets out and they
fall back asleep after some heavy playing.  I suggest that if you know
you won't be able to let them out a lot in a day then make sure you play
with them for a half an hour or so.  Don't just let them walk around make
them run, chase things and wrestle.  If you need some games to play with
your ferrets e-mail me and I'll give you some ideas.  Good luck with your
fuzzies!

Anjie
(Oh, and BTW, it is okay to have your ferrets stay in their cage all day
every once and a while.  Sometimes we just don't have the time to let
them out but make sure it doesn't happen to often.  And don't forget to
clean their litter box/cage every day and wash hammocks monthly!)