From:
Jessica Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:43:37 -0700
hi everyone,
thanks to everyone who send links & info on the utah rescue...oh my
god!!!!!!  i had no idea how atrocious this place was & how much work,
time, money & effort was put into cleaning up the mess this monster made.

just wanted to add my .02 re. both the petco problem & the utah ferret
"friend" & her lenient punishmment for the abhorrent abuse of these poor
little babies.  heather w. was right when she said to have a barf bag
available while reading the articles in the utah standard; were i not at
work right now, i would be screaming & crying by the time i was done,
imagining my own ferrets locked up forever in this loveless, wretched
place.  i know "people for the ethical treatment of animals" isn't the
most popular phrase to utter around here, but i can say as a card-carrying
member of PETA (flame away!!) that this type of problem is right up
their alley.  they have handled many, many cases involving the lenient
punishment of animal-cruelty related offenses.  even if you don't agree
with their philosophy, they are a group with the manpower & resources that
could generate some serious heat about this issue.  after i complete this
post, i will be writing letters both to peta & the utah standard regarding
this miscarriage of justice.  however, i encourage anyone who wants to
join me in writing so i am not just a drop in the bucket of complaints...
the squeaky wheel gets the grease, no??  i am not sure if we can do
anything about the case now that judgement has been handed down, but the
very least we can all do is make a fuss & write letters to anyone &
everyone so the public can be educated with what we all know.

also, on PETA's website (www.peta.org) they have a section dedicated to
petco's various offenses; they mostly list problems with petco's treatment
of birds, but if i am not mistaken they make some mention of small animals
such as ferrets, guinea pigs, etc.  i personally do not shop at petco &
make no judgement against those who do.  but for those who do and have
seen any animals being abused &/or neglected, it can't hurt to write to
PETA & let them know that ferrets are being hurt in major ways too,
particularly if you have tried contacting the higher powers at petco
without luck...once again, just my opinion.

i am off to write many letters...hug your frets & other pets & THANK GOD
they have us to love them...also, pray for the well-being of the little
ones still in that mental case's hands...even if it might be a lost cause.

because i love animals,
jessica.

jessica l. manson
whimsy creative photography!