From:
Yuki Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 12:50:38 -0600
Marya and Emma,

Regarding Emma's surgery, I recommed that you schedule her surgery in the
morning, if possible.  A long time ago, an FML member posted that she lost
her fuzzy due to post-op complication.  The doctor who performed the surgery
was very knowlegeable about ferrets and the surgery itself was successful,
however, when her ferret developed complications during the night the doctor
was not at the clinic.  Unfortunately, the staff at the clinic were not
sure what was going on.  I remember that the owner took the ferret to an
animal emergency hospital at midnight, but it was too late.

When I scheduled surgery for our ferrets (Swamp and Sneaker) for
adrenalectomy, I specifically asked for early Monday or Tuesday morning.
The surgery was done by 11:00 am in both cases (about 2 hours) and the
doctor/staff kept a close eye on the fuzzies until they came out of
anesthesia.  Our vet usually offered to keep them until closing time
(5:00 pm or 8:00 pm depending on the days) so that if some post-operative
complications were to occur he could act promptly.

When Swamp had his adrenalectomy, I worried that he might not come out
alive since he is an old-timer (7.5 years old).  But he did come out with
no problem and the recovery was very smooth.  He had stiches (about 2
inches) and an IV in his right arm; when I was in the kitchen preparing
LUMPS ferret soup for him, I heard a sound.  I looked back and there
was no Swamp on the couch!  He jumped from the couch, trotted all the way
to the end of hallway to use the bathroom.  I found him about a foot away
from the bathroom, cleaning himself by licking.  And this was only a few
hours after the surgery.  Sneaker, a 3 year old female, insisted that
she play with other ferrets.  As long as they come out of the surgery, ferrets
recover amazingly quickly; they are TOUGH animals.

I wish you and Emma good luck on her surgery.  We are looking forward to
hearing good news on the FML.

Yuki and Mike Busch, Fort Collins, Colorado
and 5 wonderful fezzies (Swamp, Nuke Skyjarker, Mythril, Sneaker and Socks)