From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:37:57 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

For two and a half years, I have waited.  Waited for my little nephew
Alexander to give me a name.

He finds my name, Alexandra, unacceptable.  *His* name is Alex, so it
can't be mine, too.  So goes his toddler reasoning.  Accordingly, he has
made this really bizarre compromise.  He calls me Mommy.  Yes, Mommy.  He
calls his Mommy, Mommy, too.  I've had to learn to answer to Mommy, and
why not, from his perspective.  It's no more bizarre than there being two
Alex's, now is it?  Not when you are two and a half.

Sounds confusing?  So is a typical day in my household.  "Alex, give Alex
your sippy cup so she can give you some more milk."

"More!"

"Say please, Alex."

"Pweeeese!"

"Thank you, Alex.  That was a very nice please."

"Alex, do we need more milk?"
<Insert blank look from a toddler here>

"No.  We have plenty for Alex and enough for coffee."

"Coffee!  Alex, would you make another pot?"
<Insert slightly panicked look from toddler here>

"No, *me* Alex.  I'll make the coffee.  You drink your milk."
<Toddler leaves, goes to sit under the kitchen table and puzzle this all
out.  Gets headache.  Needs cookie.>

Well.  Fast forward to this afternoon.  Little Alex and his Daddy are
sitting in their truck, pretending to drive, just for fun.  His Daddy
asks "Where do you want to go?"

My nephew says "Aunt Ferret!"

I HAVE A NAME!!!!  I'M AUNT FERRET!!!!!

Alexandra in MA

Puma "You mean now the little ape can *ask* to visit?"

Ping: "DUDE!"