From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 08:08:44 -0500
Hi folks,

I thought I would pass on the recent news from the folks here at Ferret
Wise.  The last few weeks have been hectic ones, but things are starting to
even out!!!  One of our elder rescue, Bear has just recovered from a
splenectomy-- at age 5 1/2 he had us worried, but is now after 10 days ever
so chipper again!!!  Our shelter mascot Ewok is responding well to Enalapryl
for his cardiomyopathy and for a 6 yr.  old, he is doing well as can be
expected.  Some days are quieter than others, but he sure does bounce and
play on his UP days!!!  Our old gal Storm / Monica to her foster sponsor is
recovered from a recent surgery and in full winter coat!!  Her companion 5
1/2 yr.  old June has NEVER looked better... not bad for stress kids who
REQUIRE living in solitary-- no kidding!!!

Missy and her companion LuLu (adrenal patient) are doing absolutely fine--
both 5 plus yr.  olds have never looked better!

Our new boys (4) all under one year of age--- are slowly adapting to their
new life here-- they are starting to finally accept good shelter mix ( TF,
Innova and Mazuri) and we will soon have them on TF exclusively.  They are
all good size MF boys and their color darkens and improves each day... We
hope to start vaccination processes in another week or so--

Frank Jr., is visiting this weekend -- he has had numerous surgeries over
the past few months-- splenectomy, adrenalectomy ( right required ligation
of vena cava) and has a small liver (ALT scores low), and to boot a gall
bladder just full of stones!!!!  He also has a thickening of the esophagus
(sp) and his food intake is a thin gruel... in spite of all this our Frank
has managed to hit 2#-- and is slowly regaining ground in his hospice
home..... a lot of baggage for a 4 1/2 yr.  old kid!

Gabriel is also visiting with us this weekend-- what a remarkable and
handsome man he has turned out to be!!!!  And kisses that could melt your
heart.... he loves his mom so much he even cries ( very softly) for her if
she gets too far away!!!!  He would like to walk, but those connections are
made sporadically... so he has superior upperbody strength to compensate --
he does well considering!!!  We will take some photos this weekend and have
them on the web page soon!!!

Shelter Mom is also nursing two kids who managed to access household
cleaners -- we are hoping for the best here-- time will tell!

The shelter has recently received a wonderful gift from LS-- she sent out a
large box with 30# of TF, hammocks and some treats for all the shelter
kids-- also she mailed vitamins for Weasle goo--- so we can now try a new
variation with our adrenal kids!!!  Thank you from the bottoms of their
fuzzy feet!!!

The shelter folks would also like to thank all those who have sent in orders
through the funalia page for the ferret mugs, we are shipping some almost
every day-- it seems as soon as they get here-- we are boxing them up!  We
appreciate your support, and that of a most excellent potter Danee!!!

Ferret Wise is working with the NH humane community -- in order to expand
services statewide for the domestic ferret-- we hope this will influence the
US humane community-- we know it will take time however!!!

Since Oct.  1st Ferret Wise has become a critical care- "special admissions"
shelter for the domestic ferret.  We are also working very hard to make sure
those pet store retailers who have ferrets -- are competent and capable of
caring for ferrets -- (a story will follow shortly to explain this
campaign).

We have found that ferrets only enjoy the protection of cruelty & rabies
quarantine laws in NH-- and have a small core of folks looking into how we
can expand their protection in other areas.... We certainly appreciate the
help of the ferret community as we undertake to set an example on behalf of
the domestic ferret...

well that it for now-- off to clean litter boxes, change bedding and
whatever else the day entails... best wishes to you and yours from the
ferrets and folks at Ferret Wise--- any questions or concerns are encouraged
to email at the above address.

Fondly in ferrets,

Alicia
a shelter MOm