From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:16:48 +1000
To Kylie

Ferrets For Dummies is certainly available in Australia.  Any of the large
bookshops will get it for you if they don't have it already in stock.  You
can e-mail me if you have any problems.  When you do get the book, please
be aware that some of it does not pertain to Australian ferrets eg some
health issues, diet etc

Dallas wrote:
>In Australia (where I am) it is pretty impossible to get a ferret that
>has been a pet.  Most ferret breeders here seem to breed also for hunting,
>so they don't really handle their kits before they sell them (that was
>true of all of the ferrets that I went to look at before we got Jake).

"In Australia" is a bit of a generalisation in this case so I can't point
you to your closest pet breeder, but a Ferret Society in your state should
be able to help.  I have yet to find a difference in temperament between
ferrets who have been bred for ferreting and those bred as pets, as long
as they have been well handled.  Having said that, I have some 14 week
old babies who have been loved and handled since the day they were born
and are still the roughest players in the whole universe!  When they get
too exuberant, I play games that use a lot of energy but require little
physical contact and scream if they bite too hard.  They get the message
eventually and mellow right out.  Good luck with your Jake.

If you, or any other Ozzie FMLer, let me know your snail mail address, I
will arrange for you to receive an information package from the Western
Australian Ferret & Ferreting Society (it's free).

Love & Dooks
Shirley