From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:11:37 -0700
I need some clarification on Mr. Lipinski's theory on aggression stimulation
in how it relates to reverse-evolution.  First, I see this theory being
formed on 3 conclusions:
1) a single incident involving one ferret, 2) second hand information about
the incident coupled with limited observation, and 3) a giant leap from
instinctual behavior to evolutionary changes.

I agree with Mr. Lipinski that it may be reaching to say that the ferret
reacted from noise sensitivity alone.  I do, however feel that noise
sensitivity does play a factor in it.

As an example, my daughter, when she was an infant was raised in close
proximity to a springer spaniel.  Springer spaniels are "bird dogs" used for
hunting, so one could say that generally springer spaniels have predatory
instincts similar to the instincts Mr. Lipinski attributes to ferrets.  When
my daughter came home and for about the first 3 months of her life the sound
of her crying brought out a sort of "frenzied" behavior from my dog.  On the
occasions that the dog actually did get close to the baby she licked her
profusely - I interpreted this as a maternal instinct.  I reacted in similar
fashion (without the licking) to the sound of my daughter crying.  I tried
everything I could think of to comfort her to help stop the crying - not
only because I love my daughter but the sound of her cry was not a pleasant
sound to hear.

There have been many documented cases of dogs attacking people when they
feel that their owners are being harmed.  There are also many documented
cases of animals of many species exhibiting maternal instincts toward babies
of other species.  Why automatically write off the maternal instincts?  Is
it due to the fact that the ferret involved was male?  Many people on this
list have shown that male ferrets also exhibit caregiver behaviors to kits.

My daughter is almost 5 years old now and we have two ferrets.  One could
care less if she cries.  The other will hop about on her legs while she is
crying and occasionally lick her hands, which I again interpret as maternal
behavior.  Or at least a nice way of trying to shut up a toy making an
annoying noise.

Now the part that really confuses me is how the jump was made from a second
hand information about a single incident estimated to be aggressive/attack
instincts to reverting back to a wild state.  The process of evolution has
taken a long time and if an instinctual behavior is exhibited that does not
speak for the rapid degeneration of all ferrets.  You cannot take all
instinctual behavior out of an animal - ever.  At least no species on this
planet has evolved that far.  Humans still exhibit instinctual behavior -
does that make us wild or feral?  Or even regressing back to that state?
And I disagree with the interpretation of the instinct.  But then again I
wasn't there and even if I was I do not feel confident enough in my
abilities to read a ferrets mind or interpret their behavior to the
equivalent of telepathy.

Now, I don't feel that Mr. Lipinski needs to keep quiet with his opinions
about ferrets not being the ideal pet for small children.  Children are
not safe for pets - or for themselves, that's why we don't leave children
unsupervised.  Mr. Lipinski has every right to that opinion regardless of
what effect that may have on furthering ferret popularity.  But we ALL need
to watch how we are phrasing these "opinions".  It is dangerous to make
broad sweeping statements phrased as absolute truth, when in all honesty it
is only an opinion.

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle