From:
Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 01:41:40 -0600
>"Remember Mpls is FFZ (though again not really enforced without complaints
>or bites) however St.  Louis Park is very very ferret friendly, ferrets are
>not only quoted as legal they have no quarantine period after bite incident
>if up to date on vacc).  Charlene"

Sorry, Charlene but your information is incorrect.  Much as the city of
Minneapolis would like to have you believe otherwise there is absolutely no
law on their books which prohibits keeping ferrets as pets.  Section 74.50
which is what they cite as their law against ferrets reads as follows:

"Vicious animals; animals wild by naure.  No person shall keep or allow to
be kept anyplace in the city any animal of a ferocious or vicious character,
habit or disposition or any animal wild by nature."

Because another section of ordinance describes a viscious animal as one
which has bitten or threatend to bite one or more persons or animals on more
than one occasion they are forced to say it is because the ferret is wild by
nature.  A position which has no basis in fact.  I know from personal
experience that the city has lost on challenged tickets on at least two
occasions.

I always recommend that people get a copy of laws, ordinances, etc. and read
them.  Don't just take public health or animal control's word for what the
law says.