From:
"Bryan P. Coffey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:31:06 -0400
Chapter 17 - A Fairy Promise

When Christofert awoke, Odysseus rowed over to the opposite shore and
let him off.  They said farewell, and Christofert continued onward.  He
knew that the prison where the fairy was imprisoned was close now.

He now found it incredibly easy to sneak around through the tunnels, and
quickly he was at the prison area.  The main prison door was guarded by
two rather large and ugly demons.  They both were facing outward, but
seemed rather bored.  Actually, they were so bored that they had both
fallen asleep.  Christofert didn't see any challenge in sneaking past
them, and was tempted to bite them to wake them up.  He though better of
that though.  Instead, he quietly slipped through the bars and headed
deeper into the prison.

He had expected to find lots of creatures in the prison, but was
surprised to find all but one cell empty.  Apparently Hell was considered
prison enough for everyone else.  In the one occupied cell, was a
creature who obviously didn't belong in Hell.  She looked mostly like a
human, but had little tiny wings.  Her skin was a nice cherry brown
color, and her hair had a nice greenish tint to it.

She saw Christofert and said in a very angry voice "Well, what do you
want now?"

"Oops! Sorry" began Christofert meekly.  "I'm here to rescue you."

"You?  You're not a demon!  I'm sorry, I just didn't expect to see anyone
else down here.  I don't see how you could rescue me though?  And why
would you want to?"

"Well, you see, " continued Christofert.  "I was trying to get China, but
I got lost here in Hell.  Dante thought you might be able to help me if I
could set you free.  But now I'm tired of adventuring.  I just want to go
home." Christofert's voice sounded a little depressed at this point.  "If
I can get you out of here, could you help me get back home to Italy?"

"Hmm.  If you can get me out of the prison, then I can certainly get you
back to the surface.  Unfortunately, the section boss keeps the keys with
him at all times.  He's the only one who can get in here, and he likes
keeping me around.  Apparently I'm considered a 'Big Catch'!  I think he
is planning on giving me to Satan or someone else important around here.
Well, it's my fault.  I shouldn't have been drinking so much of the
nectar."

"Where's the boss?" asked Christofert.

"He's got an apartment very near here in that direction.  It should be
really easy to find.  You know I'm sorry I yelled at you.  Thank you for
trying to help me."

She smiled once at Christofert, then he turned to find the keys to her
cell.

(to be continued)

            Bryan P. Coffey - Boston, MA
      Weasel Warriors - Albi, Esef, Merri, and Mint
        http://www.gis.net/~bpcoffey/furball.html