Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 09:31:45 EDT
ferrets to home:

May be taking in 2 more this week. Just got the email from an animal
shelter volunteer about 2 ferts needing home in Palatine...FREE to
whomever. YIPES!!

I wrote last night after getting email that I would take them sight
unseen with no info other than they are two females. We will see if
I get a response.

I have to say I get upset when people want to sell ferts that have not
seen a vet. It can cost me a small fortune to try and keep them alive.
To pay for them too??? Don't know what one could do about that.But that
DOES claw at me.

However, Risa has it right. FREE is a possible death sentence word for
the animal in an add.

I would like to mention that the last 2 I paid for that had recent vet
records were VERY very ill. They just appeared old and adrenal. I had
no idea how ill they were.And both had had recent vet exams. I saw the
papers. Nothing about how ill they were was noted. (One was bald.)

One died a few weeks later after extensive care and large vet bill. The
other curmudgeon has had surgery for growth on paw on neck, and been to
vets numerous times. He now has another growth, and further surgery is
being discussed.

He is happy for perhaps the first time in his long life. He survives
and putters around, stumbling on his weak rear legs. He is adrenal and
insulinomic. He did have severe kidney issues. He has his pred and
Lupron. He curiously sniffs butts, smells the fresh air, feels the
soft bedding, and happily slurps his soup only because of Zoos Ferret
Sanctuary. Otherwise, no vet could have kept him alive without around
the clock care.

I am glad I paid for them. Bongo was stuffed into the smallest cage;
separated from his life's partner when I first saw him. You know the
drill. Old cruddy smaller than small cage with crusted dirty worn
hammy. Bonded ferrets being sold separately.

Spent well over a thousand dollars on them for medical expenses after
paying for them in less than a year. But they were not used as snake
snacks. No one would have paid the money I did for them for that
purpose. Charging money for them gave them another chance to live
and find some happiness in this life.