From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:18:43 -0500
It is with a heavy heart and much anger i write this to all of you.
Society for the Protection of CRUELTY to Animals?  hummmmm......

Once again, the Ontario SPCA has allowed ferrets to fall through the
cracks of the animal cruelty system.  In fact, they have allowed the
ponies to fall through the cracks as well.

Let me start by saying, it's not their fault, they are worried they will
lose this case.  I guess they don't want to try to win.

According to Insp.  Fry, he has no evidence to prove willful neglect.
The woman responsible for the ferrets was able to produce a receipt for
food that she purchased for the ferrets and admitted the cages were dirty
because she was too afraid to stick her hands in to clean them.  She also
stated that the ferrets had water at all times.  a TOTAL lie.  Our vet is
prepared to testify that the ferrets were severely dehydrated, even after
24 hours of care at our shelter (she is also willing to testify she saw
TOTAL neglect).  While we were at the "farm" we noted ALL water bottles
were EMPTY.

Also, because the true owner was in hospital for a month and died, they
say it will be hard to prosecute his wife (who was responsible for them
while the hubby was in hospital up until the time we got them).

I've said it before, my mother was in hospital for FOUR months, died -
and none of her animals ate each other!

Also according to Insp.  Fry, because the woman responsible for the
ferrets had placed an add in the paper to "sell" the ferrets, she was
trying to "fix" the situation by getting "rid" of them.  I guess Canadian
laws allow the sale of sick, starving, half-dead animals (though the
son-in-law told me the ferret skulls were FREE).  if this *is* the case,
I have NEVER been MORE ASHAMED to be Canadian than i am right now.

How ironic.  It was 7 years ago this month that we were faced with the
same situation with the SPCA and 23 ferrets, all with their canine teeth
cut out.  They couldn't prove distress/neglect with those kids either.
It was only AFTER the media and ferret community got involved that
charges were laid.

Insp. Fry also told me that because the media was involved this time
around, it would look like (in the court's eyes) the SPCA was forced to
press charges because of the media.  Personally (MY OPINION ONLY) i think
that's a load.  I remember a case where a dog was dragged behind a truck
and the media was ALL over the story and the person was still charged
without any complaint from the courts.  He also told me that because
*his* name is on our web site, it would look like WE forced *him* to
press charges.

Our veterinarian is appalled and can not believe this will be the final
outcome of this case.  She truly believes neglect can easily be found and
is shocked with our SPCA.

As for the ponies, 2 (i believe) were euthanized.  The others are being
sold at a live stalk auction.

If you are just as outraged at this as our vet and our volunteers AND
me, please write to

Chief Inspector M. Draper  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
Ontario SPCA 16586 Woodbine Avenue, RR 3, Newmarket, ON, L3Y 4W1
(while e-mails are great, remember paper letters are more effective)

Please remember to thank him for his help with the 1998 London rescue
and urge him to help now with the Paris kids.

Randy Melanie Belair
President
The Ferret Aid Society "For the Love of our Fuzzy Friends"
<http://www.ferretaid.org/>