From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:43:37 -0800
My 7 year old, Billy Bob had adrenal surgery last week.  He is doing fine.
In fact, I know he is recovering nicely as he has remembered how much fun it
is to bite my wife's toes!  (NOT something my wife is overly happy about!)

The surgery was unremarkable in itself...left adreanal gland removed, no
sign of any pancreatic tumors, although blood sugar was low...45, when
should be up around 90.  Vet did say the pancreas had a funny color to it so
after palpating and feeling no internal lumps, she biopsied the organ and we
are now awaiting results from the lab.  To be on safe side, we started a
regimen of Pediopred.  (Children's prednisone)

What is interesting about his particular proceedure was the manner in which
the vet closed Billy's belly.  She used wire staples instead of sutures.
This may be a standard closing method (vets' comments??) but it surprised
me.  Reasoning was that with sutures, the critters can and often do, lick
them out.  Obviously staples don't come out with continual licking.

Human amazement time: Billy appears to be suffering no pain or discomfort
from his incision.  Folks, his incision was 4 inches long!  He should be in
agony!!  No way.  The little imp even went bounding up a double flight of
stairs to go harass the iguana, the next day after surgery!

His appetite came back within 24 hours, and his thirst never abated.  I was
worried about his age..7..but one would never know it.  We try and give our
ferts the best..and it must be ok as my oldest lived to be 10 plus years..
Billy is 7 and acts like a kit.  Garret is 5 and acts like, well, Garret.

Lastly...I am very pleased with the vet who did the surgery.  I am in Reno,
Nevada, only about 2 1/2 hours from Sacramento.  California.  If any of you
Northern Cal readers are in need of a good ferret vet, I highly recommend my
vet.  The information about her follows.

Katie Rohrer, V.M.D
Kings Row Pet Hospital
3653 Kings Row
Reno, Nevada, 89503
(702) 747-1211

If there are any questions about her, I can be reached at my e-mail address.

Joe Wolfe