From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:18:13 -0400
Apologies. Although an interesting read, the study I linked to
yesterday on toxic origins of disease and obesity was not the one I
was thinking of which focused on how and why there can be diseases
themselves or the toxins those diseases produce in the body which
may trigger difficulty controlling weight (and in some cases also
inflammation).

(Speaking of diseases and toxins from them a group of chili sauces for
chili dogs has been recalled due to botulism:
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html
If nothing else, I think that watching for the pet foods with melamine
content caused a number of computer literate people to also regularly
get FDA automatic alerts so that habit has probably saved people, too)

Anyway, returning to topic, in PubMed find things like these and then
also travel related links because i failed to save the study I was
thinking of and don't have time to track it down:

Diabetes. 2007 Jul;56(7):1761-72. Epub 2007 Apr 24.
Metabolic endotoxemia initiates obesity and insulin resistance. Cani
PD, Amar J, Iglesias MA, Poggi M, Knauf C, Bastelica D, Neyrinck AM,
Fava F, Tuohy KM, Chabo C, Waget A, DelmŽe E, Cousin B, Sulpice T,
Chamontin B, Ferrires J, Tanti JF, Gibson GR, Casteilla L, Delzenne
NM, Alessi MC, Burcelin R.
(bacterial lipopolysaccharide -- and can apparently worsen that
bacterial product with a high fat diet so it may spiral with two
contributing factors)

Adv Food Nutr Res. 2007;52:61-102.
Infectobesity: obesity of infectious origin.
Pasarica M, Dhurandhar NV.

Abstract:
>The rapid increase in obesity and the associated health care costs
>have prompted a search for better approaches for its prevention and
>management. Such efforts may be facilitated by better understanding
>the etiology of obesity. Of the several etiological factors, infection,
>an unusual causative factor, has recently started receiving greater
>attention. In the last two decades, 10 adipogenic pathogens were
>reported, including human and nonhuman viruses, scrapie agents,
>bacteria, and gut microflora. Some of these pathogens are associated
>with human obesity, but their causative role in human obesity has not
>been established. This chapter presents information about the natural
>hosts, signs and symptoms, and pathogenesis of the adipogenic
>microorganisms. If relevant to humans, "Infectobesity" would be a
>relatively novel, yet extremely significant concept. A new perspective
>about the infectious etiology of obesity may stimulate additional
>research to assess the contribution of hitherto unknown pathogens to
>human obesity and possibly to prevent or treat obesity of infectious
>origins.

Of course, these are different species and therefore MAY NOT apply to
ferrets, but it is also an area of study which is finally blooming
close to a decade after first being suggested so studies are limited
but the rate of such studies is increasing.

I know there are a lot of people to like to see what it being
hypothesized and what then shows up on actual study, though, so those
here who enjoy that as much as I do will be having great fun.

Still, the tools we all have -- for any species -- are diet control
and exercise with exercise being a highly important component of good
health in a great many ways that go way beyond just balancing amounts
of lean tissue and adipose tissue.

The only studies which showed up when the words ferret obesity or
mustela obesity were used in search at PubMed were

1: Murano I, Morroni M, Zingaretti MC, Oliver P, Sanchez J, Fuster A,
Pico C, Palou A, Cinti S.
orphology of ferret subcutaneous adipose tissue after 6-month daily
supplementation with oral beta-carotene.
Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005 May 30;1740(2):305-12. Epub 2004 Nov 17.
PMID: 15893457 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Hervieu G.
Melanin-concentrating hormone functions in the nervous system: food
intake and stress.
Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2003 Aug;7(4):495-511. Review.
PMID: 12885269 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Tan CP, Sano H, Iwaasa H, Pan J, Sailer AW, Hreniuk DL, Feighner SD,
Palyha OC, Pong SS, Figueroa DJ, Austin CP, Jiang MM, Yu H, Ito J, Ito
M, Ito M, Guan XM, MacNeil DJ, Kanatani A, Van der Ploeg LH, Howard AD.
Melanin-concentrating hormone receptor subtypes 1 and 2: species-
specific gene expression.
Genomics. 2002 Jun;79(6):785-92.
PMID: 12036292 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Rouvinen-Watt K.
Nursing sickness in the mink--a metabolic mystery or a familiar foe?
Can J Vet Res. 2003 Jul;67(3):161-8. Review.
PMID: 12889720 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Although a mink article, the nursing sickness one may interest ferret
breeders and the full article can be found here:
<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=12889720>

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: