From:
Jennifer LaRossa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:01:14 EDT
Dear FML,
Please don't get me wrong.... I probably take the animals who live here to
the vet more than necessary.  If I have any doubts whatsoever about their
health, it's into the car and off we go.

However..... it is SO hot, and my car doesn't have air conditioning, and the
ferrets have already been tortured this week as my husband thought it was
fine to babysit his sister's dogs, and for their own safety, Rustle and
Archie had to shoved into my daughter's bedroom rather than freely roaming
all over the house... and now that the dogs are gone, it is so tempting to
just want to settle back into normalcy.  But....

I remember reading something recently about weird skin stuff; of course I
ignored it, and now I have a question.

Archie has a bump over her left eye.  I first noticed it yesterday, but she
could have had it a bit longer since the last time I thoroughly scrutinized
her gorgeous little self was Saturday, the day when she and her brother
suddenly turned into second class citizens and were relocated to the bedroom
detention camp.  The skin looks slightly reddened, is missing fur and is
raised, and has a little black dot in the center.  She is acting fine, but
has never had anything like this before, and I am very concerned.

So do I watch it or do I haul her off to the doctor?  They were taking only
emergency calls when I called, and I didn't think that this constituted an
emergency.

Has any one else seen anything like this before on a ferret?  What should I
suggest the vet might look into with a lesion like this?

It seems it has been such a horrible month on the FML (seems like there is
another little one gone to cry over every day) that I tend to think I am
overreacting because I am expecting the worst.... but I do think this is
something that needs veterinary care, right?

Thank you,
Jennifer