From:
Melissa Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:38:42 -0500
Jessica -

No doubt you'll get lots of advice on this one.  I feel your frustration
as Fee was the master of evading ear cleaning.

You say you've tried scruffing.  A tiny bit of advice.  Try a good healthy
scruff of fur and holding your ferret so that his body is dangling with
his back resting on the underside of your forearm.  I thought I knew how
to scruff but apparently Fee's neck is so "fluffy" that I wasn't getting
enough flesh in my hand to do it right.  If his paws in any way touch
anything that allows him to push off or fight back, he'll squirm his way
out of the cleaning.

Once Fee is dangling out there he'll begrudgingly let me do the deed.  Try
to hold the good scruff as long as possible - Fee has discovered a way to
tense up the muscles in his neck, making it very difficult to get him
properly scruffed again.  Also, don't be afraid to do one ear at a time -
sometimes you have to pick your battles ... or end up with the retaliation
in the middle of the floor!

Of course, don't forget to follow up with a good dose of Ferretone to help
alleviate the "pain" of ear cleaning.  Best of luck!

Peace,
Melissa Sullivan